The Student Room Group

Early driving lessons

I've only done 1 driving lesson and if you've had lessons you know the first lesson the instructor talks for the first hour and you drive very slowly for the next hour. Could someone let me know what I should expect of future lessons and how long did it take them to handle the steering properly. A couple of times I was steering the close to the curb or a vehicle on my right. We were on some busy streets as my lesson was during traffic hour. Given that my instructor said I did pretty well. Also after how many hours were you able to drive to a good standard. I've been reading some stuff online and some people have taken like 35 hours of lesson which is kind of shocking to me.
Reply 1
I only started recently but haven't been taken weekly lessons due to various reasons. After 14 hours of lessons I would argue that I am nowhere near test standard yet. It takes a while to get to grips with how much to steer and when to steer. If the problem is that you are struggling to keep your hands in the correct position when steering like I was initially ask your instructor to take you to a quiet car park and do the figure of 8. You basically get to grips with steering whilst the instructor will maintain control of the foot pedals.
My daughter is coming to the end of her second 10 lesson block (so coming up to her 20th lesson - each 1 hour long) and her instructor says he's going to do a mock practical test with her next week, so she must be doing alright with the practical side of things at least anyway. (Theory is another story).
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
My daughter is coming to the end of her second 10 lesson block (so coming up to her 20th lesson - each 1 hour long) and her instructor says he's going to do a mock practical test with her next week, so she must be doing alright with the practical side of things at least anyway. (Theory is another story).

Original post by Rachel52
I only started recently but haven't been taken weekly lessons due to various reasons. After 14 hours of lessons I would argue that I am nowhere near test standard yet. It takes a while to get to grips with how much to steer and when to steer. If the problem is that you are struggling to keep your hands in the correct position when steering like I was initially ask your instructor to take you to a quiet car park and do the figure of 8. You basically get to grips with steering whilst the instructor will maintain control of the foot pedals.

Thank you so much I'll make sure to ask my instructor
Reply 4
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

Thank you for your response I hope your daughter has more luck with her theory
The general consensus is that how long it takes you depends on the individual. It can take 50hours or 70. I took like 50 ish hours, before passing my test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending