The Student Room Group

a level choices

I’m interested in journalism and ideally studying in a russel group uni (specifically Kings or UCL) ; i’ve selected English Literature, Media studies and Sociology as my a level options. Will taking a fourth improve my chances - or shall i stick with three but pick more ‘academic’ subjects? If so which subjects would you suggest?
Reply 1
Stick with 3, universities only take 3 grades regardless and it's better to focus on 3 and get stronger grades.
For Russel Group universities, more academic subjects would help you, but probably won't be required (aside from English lit). I'd primarily suggest history, philosophy and a language, or even psychology or economics; as these subjects give you the opportunity to further your writing, critical analysis and world awareness skills- all of which you would need in journalism. Ultimately though, take whatever you enjoy and can achieve the highest grades in.
Reply 2
Original post by yelenabelovad
I’m interested in journalism and ideally studying in a russel group uni (specifically Kings or UCL) ; i’ve selected English Literature, Media studies and Sociology as my a level options. Will taking a fourth improve my chances - or shall i stick with three but pick more ‘academic’ subjects? If so which subjects would you suggest?

Heya!
Unis just want 3 alvls, so stick to that :h: Use uniguide to explore your alvls combo and the courses!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest