The Student Room Group

Is it really bad to slightly lie/exaggerate on a job application?

I dont mean lying about your grade or previous jobs, I just mean lying about your previous accomplishments/responsibilities in a previous role.

For example, saying in the job application that you were part of a university society when you weren’t, saying you participated in organising a charity event at a previous job but you didn’t (or had little involvement).

Would you consider these things to really be checked by an employer? I’m just curious as I wouldn’t think they do such specific checks.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I dont mean lying about your grade or previous jobs, I just mean lying about your previous accomplishments/responsibilities in a previous role.

For example, saying in the job application that you were part of a university society when you weren’t, saying you participated in organising a charity event at a previous job but you didn’t (or had little involvement).

Would you consider these things to really be checked by an employer? I’m just curious as I wouldn’t think they do such specific checks.

Yes. Employers reserve the right to verify information that you put on your application. Some don't bother performing the due diligence whilst others do. Best not to risk it.
I saw a news article a few months back where someone was caught out for lying in their interview about their responsibilities in their previous role. They were found out when the interviewer contacted their references. I think she was a school teacher in Edinburgh if anyone wants to go digging for it, but I may be mistaken.

Just don't do it. It isn't worth the risk of being caught lying.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Yes, lying on a job application or CV is really bad and doing so risks prosecution if the lies are discovered.
NEVER EVER lie about any of your qualifications, job role or dates of employment.
Original post by Wired_1800
Yes. Employers reserve the right to verify information that you put on your application. Some don't bother performing the due diligence whilst others do. Best not to risk it.

Exactly
Reply 5

I would say if you had 0 involvement in something then don't mention it. If you had some, even if it was the smallest bit, yes, exaggerate that to your hearts content there is absolutely no way to quantify the extent of your involvement in something and even if there was, there is no way an employer would go to the extent to check the level of your involvement in organising a charity event for example.
Reply 6
I would say if you had 0 involvement in something then don't mention it. If you had some, even if it was the smallest bit, yes, exaggerate that to your hearts content there is absolutely no way to quantify the extent of your involvement in something and even if there was, there is no way an employer would go to the extent to check the level of your involvement in organising a charity event for example.

I thought so, thank you
Reply 7
No its not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending