The Student Room Group

Missed job opportunity

Hi, just looking for some advice. I posted a couple of days ago about feeling burnt out and would like some advice on a different situation.

I've been at a new job for 4 weeks and the commute is leaving me feel burnt out and my actual job role isn't feeling fulfilling. Before I accepted my current role, I was offered a job at a similar company (one I had worked temporarily for over the summer) which paid more and was a more interesting role. I didn't know much about the industry (travel) or the different roles before I started but now I'm really regretting my decision. The really terrible thing was that I never let the first company know that I didn't want to accept - I was in a bad place at the time and in all honesty, I completely forgot. The same company are now advertising the position and part of me wants to get back in touch with them about it - but have I burnt all my bridges? Honest advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Why didn't you accept the job that you had experience in, that paid more and was more interesting? I'm asking because it will be a good indicator as to whether this was a genuine error or you're just a flake because this is what the first company is going to be thinking and will be the deciding factor whether they are prepared to give you a second chance.
Just contact the company you (kinda) turned down and ask whether previous applicants may apply. If they say no, then you know where you stand and can move on.
Reply 3
Original post by Makro
Why didn't you accept the job that you had experience in, that paid more and was more interesting? I'm asking because it will be a good indicator as to whether this was a genuine error or you're just a flake because this is what the first company is going to be thinking and will be the deciding factor whether they are prepared to give you a second chance.

I didn't have experience in either role - the job I did over the summer was completely different. My current role and the second one I was offered are similar, but now that I've experienced the industry and have a better understanding of the different job roles, the initial one I was offered interests me more. At the moment I just do admin, but during my training I was introduced to other roles within the company which I found to be way more interesting, and parts of these roles were exactly the same as the first offer. This is why I'm kicking myself slightly.
Original post by eldorado14
I didn't have experience in either role - the job I did over the summer was completely different. My current role and the second one I was offered are similar, but now that I've experienced the industry and have a better understanding of the different job roles, the initial one I was offered interests me more. At the moment I just do admin, but during my training I was introduced to other roles within the company which I found to be way more interesting, and parts of these roles were exactly the same as the first offer. This is why I'm kicking myself slightly.

I would get back in contact and send an official application in if it were me. the worst that will happen is they say not and you move on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending