The Student Room Group

Will companies check your academic record if you already have work experience?

I already have 10 years of working experience. It has reach the point that interviewers dont even bother to ask me for my physical certification. Some dont even care.

My resume actually looks impressive expect the academic part. I did poorly in university.

Will they check the authenticity of my academic qualifications if it really has become irrelevant?
Original post by cyxstudio
I already have 10 years of working experience. It has reach the point that interviewers dont even bother to ask me for my physical certification. Some dont even care.

My resume actually looks impressive expect the academic part. I did poorly in university.

Will they check the authenticity of my academic qualifications if it really has become irrelevant?

A lot of companies now outsource background checks, part of which is often to check your qualifications - so any discrepancies may surface. But that is an entirely different question from "do companies care about your university grades once you've accumulated a significant amount of professional experience". This depends on the company and industry, but I suspect the answer is generally no.
Reply 2

Your question suggests that you might be considering giving inaccurate information when you apply for jobs.

Don't.

You might get away with it. You might not.

You might work at a company for years before they check your qualifications -- perhaps they'll do this when you apply for a promotion. You could easily get sacked for these even after years in the job.

You probably need to think carefully about why you are asking this question and realise the logic is probably unsound.

If you have 10 years of work experience and have reached the point where interviewers don't even bother to ask you for physical certification and you think some don't even care, then there's your answer - they don't care that you did poorly in university. In which case, you can tell them the truth and there is zero risk.

Conversely, companies that do care, usually do check. If they do care, but don't check, you should be aware that there is plenty of case law to show that a lie on a job application for anything material, like a qualification, is gross misconduct and grounds for immediate dismissal - whenever they find out. So any lie about qualifications you'd have to keep up for the whole time you worked there.

Besides - why are you giving these details on a CV after 10 years? Just state your University and degree.
Reply 4
Some companies check background and other do not. My latest company had checks done by an external agency and I had to provide a copy of my degree certificate. Play to your strengths on a CV but don’t lie
Reply 5
Your experience is what will matter the most.

My degree didn't get a lot of emphasis placed due to my chosen field.
At 10yrs work exp there's little likelihood that your academics will be the thing getting you through the initial screening process.

If it's important, they'll check it.
If it's not important, it's not worth lying about and jepordising your application over.

Places I've worked have requested copies of the certs for quals that I've listed if that's any use to you.
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
You probably need to think carefully about why you are asking this question and realise the logic is probably unsound.

If you have 10 years of work experience and have reached the point where interviewers don't even bother to ask you for physical certification and you think some don't even care, then there's your answer - they don't care that you did poorly in university. In which case, you can tell them the truth and there is zero risk.

Conversely, companies that do care, usually do check. If they do care, but don't check, you should be aware that there is plenty of case law to show that a lie on a job application for anything material, like a qualification, is gross misconduct and grounds for immediate dismissal - whenever they find out. So any lie about qualifications you'd have to keep up for the whole time you worked there.

Besides - why are you giving these details on a CV after 10 years? Just state your University and degree.

its not

When i refer to interviewers not caring, i am referring to those i receive a call back.

Those i didn't , we may never know.
its not

When i refer to interviewers not caring, i am referring to those i receive a call back.

Those i didn't , we may never know.

But except for very niche jobs like teaching or the security services, references and qualifications are only checked for the individual to whom you make an offer. You don't run reference checks pre interview.
No they don't, employers can't access your PLR (Personal Learning Record), the only checks that are done for the most part are right to work and DBS checks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending