The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Is Hatfield really that bad?

It seems like the most practical choice for me - it's in the centre and really close to my lectures, but has a strong reputation of being filled with 'posh *****', and coming from a state school I don't know if I'd fit in.
I visited recently and LOVED Collingwood, debating putting that first even though it's further from lectures.
In a word - yes- full of rugby lads and toffs
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
The best part of it is the A1(M) out of there.
Original post by Anonymous
It seems like the most practical choice for me - it's in the centre and really close to my lectures, but has a strong reputation of being filled with 'posh *****', and coming from a state school I don't know if I'd fit in.
I visited recently and LOVED Collingwood, debating putting that first even though it's further from lectures.

I'm a first-year at Hatfield, and I'll be honest Collingwood is like the Hatfield of the Hill (so the same rep and is just further away from town - Rugby/Cricket lads and hockey girls). I won't lie to you, Hatfield is undeniably posher than other colleges, but honestly, everyone is nice and the few ***** exist in all colleges. If you put Collingwood first you are probably more likely to get it because it is massive and is not over-subscribed to like Hatfield. I will say that Hatfield is extremely welcoming and you will make friends with a range of different people.
Original post by Anonymous

Hello!

Hatfield does have its reputation but it is highly exaggerated. Yes certain stereotypes about Hatfield are somewhat true, but it really mainly depends on who you spend time with/hang out with, and that is applicable to every other college. Within every college, you will find some people that you don't necessarily fit with or like but you will also find so many other likeminded amazing people, don't let college rivalries and reputations discourage you from choosing the college right for you. Whether that's Hatfield or Collingwood.

Goodluck!
-Ghala

Quick Reply

Latest