The Student Room Group

Uni choices for engineering

I have just finished receiving all my offers for mechanical engineering in the UK and I have received 4 - Nottingham, Loughborough, Sheffield and Bath, the Bath course being integrated electronic and mechanical rather than pure mechanical. I am mainly debating between Bath, Loughborough and Sheffield, the offers for Sheffield and Bath being pretty similar and Loughborough being slightly higher. Does anyone have any advice on which to go with?
What do you consider the pros and cons of each course/university (course content, facilities, environment) and location (city, cost of living, social life etc)?
Reply 2
If any of the courses have the opportunity for a placement, this is a big plus for your graduate CV and employment.
Original post by RosieBattersby
I have just finished receiving all my offers for mechanical engineering in the UK and I have received 4 - Nottingham, Loughborough, Sheffield and Bath, the Bath course being integrated electronic and mechanical rather than pure mechanical. I am mainly debating between Bath, Loughborough and Sheffield, the offers for Sheffield and Bath being pretty similar and Loughborough being slightly higher. Does anyone have any advice on which to go with?

Hi @RosieBattersby,

Congratulations on your offers :smile: I wanted to see if I can help you with making your decision.

I would start by looking over the course pages for each of the universities. Here's Loughborough's BEng Mechanical Engineering course page. If you scroll down to the 'what you'll study' section on the Loughborough page, you'll be able to see the modules on the course and see if anything interests you in particular. It's also worth mentioning that the course at Loughborough has an optional placement or study abroad year which may be of interest.

Have you visited the universities at all? It may be a good idea to do this. Even if you can't get there, it would be worth looking at virtual tours. It's important to choose somewhere where you can see yourself living and being happy. You can see more information about how to visit Loughborough here.

It's also worth taking a look at the accommodation that all the universities offer. At Loughborough, we have 17 halls of residence that offer different things to students.

It may also be a good idea to take a look at the extracurricular activities offered by the universities - perhaps there is an interest or a hobby that you have and you would like to continue it or you may want to try something new. At Loughborough, we have over 100 societies to choose from, so there's plenty to get involved in! There are also lots of ways to get involved in sport too.

Finally, as the universities you've mentioned are in different parts of the UK, you may want to consider their locations. Loughborough is a small market town where it's so easy to get to other cities, such as Leicester or Nottingham, by bus or by train (find out more about the location of Loughborough University on our website).

I think the most important thing is choosing somewhere where you believe you'll be happy.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch :smile:

- Lindsay
(edited 11 months ago)
You’ll be fine at any of them, all are well respected.

Would you prefer to do mech & ee or straight mech-eng (this will simplify the decision).
Where would you rather live, and in what type of city.
Reply 5
Original post by RosieBattersby

Hi, I was just wondering what predicted grades did you have when applying for Nottingham as I am predicted a B and am worried they won't give me a conditional offer and I might have to go through clearing

Quick Reply

Latest