The Student Room Group

Mental health issues GCSEs

Please can someone give me advice on what to do (I have my 1st GCSE in 3 days). Lately I haven't been able to do much revision because I've been so ill & I still haven't finished all the content for 3 of my subjects at school bcs my school is very understaffed so most of the time we don't have teachers. Bcs of this, my school isn't giving us study leave. The thing is I teach myself majority of the content at home so going to school is becoming a hinderence to my education, also many of my teachers are supply & the remaining ones don't bother teaching (1 of my english teachers refuses to teach eng lit bcs she doesn't like the subject, she's done this for all of yr 11). Last week I attempted to unal1ve myself for various reason but it didn't work out & now I feel even worse, I didn't get any revision done, school is becoming even more exhausting, I have no energy to do work & more. Next week I only have 1 exam, so I was wondering how would I be able to tell the school if I could just do the exam then leave so I can revise at home? I would've asked my parents to ask but they can't bcs they can't speak english so I have to sort out the school myself, I feel physically & mentally exhaused bcs of the stuff I did but I don't want my school to know that I tried to k1ll myself so idk what to do now. Should I just say I just come in the day I have an exam then say I'm sick on non-exam days?
Also sorry for the long post!
Reply 1
Hello Anonymous,

Sorry to hear your struggling. You're in year 11, what's the worst they can do if you do not attend?

Even if you didn't attend for no reason, they can't punish you at this stage.

3 days is enough, but depends how you use it.

Also, remember, grades don't determine your worth, they're a memory test, whatever happens, happens. If you know you tried your best, why be angry at yourself?
Original post by Anonymous
Please can someone give me advice on what to do (I have my 1st GCSE in 3 days). Lately I haven't been able to do much revision because I've been so ill & I still haven't finished all the content for 3 of my subjects at school bcs my school is very understaffed so most of the time we don't have teachers. Bcs of this, my school isn't giving us study leave. The thing is I teach myself majority of the content at home so going to school is becoming a hinderence to my education, also many of my teachers are supply & the remaining ones don't bother teaching (1 of my english teachers refuses to teach eng lit bcs she doesn't like the subject, she's done this for all of yr 11). Last week I attempted to unal1ve myself for various reason but it didn't work out & now I feel even worse, I didn't get any revision done, school is becoming even more exhausting, I have no energy to do work & more. Next week I only have 1 exam, so I was wondering how would I be able to tell the school if I could just do the exam then leave so I can revise at home? I would've asked my parents to ask but they can't bcs they can't speak english so I have to sort out the school myself, I feel physically & mentally exhaused bcs of the stuff I did but I don't want my school to know that I tried to k1ll myself so idk what to do now. Should I just say I just come in the day I have an exam then say I'm sick on non-exam days?
Also sorry for the long post!

Hey I am sorry to hear that your going through this difficult time. GCSE's are really stressfull and its important to take the time to look after yourself. Please don't sacrifice your will to live for grades.

If you revise better at home, I think its better to stay at home. At the end of the day, GCSE's do not matter that much. As long as you get a pass in english langauge and maths, you can go to uni.

If you need anyone to talk to please do dm me

Quick Reply

Latest