The Student Room Group

How much lower than entry requirements can predicted grades be?

Hi,
So the uni I really want to go to (Manchester) has a typical entry requirement of A*A*A for my course, needing A*s in both physics and maths- but for my mocks I myself am expecting to probably get in the range AAB- ABC, and to get a B in maths at a max. My school bases predicted grades almost entirely on mocks, unless of course I completely mess it up in which case they resort to class assessments which I've gotten straight As in chem, A-C in phys (negating that 1 time i got an E) and a VERY random range in maths.

I know I can get that up next year, as this year I have been very busy with EPQ (which was marked as 48/50, will almost definitely be an A* if moderation agrees) so have had little time to revise. I'm going to mention my EPQ in my PS and interviews as well as how it has affected my grades and that I've learned for next time that I need to get better at multitasking- but Manchester doesn't consider EPQ very much for my course so I doubt the A* will help much.

I know predicted grades can be slightly lower than requirements, but can I still get in with those likely mock grades?
Original post by howlin09
Hi,
So the uni I really want to go to (Manchester) has a typical entry requirement of A*A*A for my course, needing A*s in both physics and maths- but for my mocks I myself am expecting to probably get in the range AAB- ABC, and to get a B in maths at a max. My school bases predicted grades almost entirely on mocks, unless of course I completely mess it up in which case they resort to class assessments which I've gotten straight As in chem, A-C in phys (negating that 1 time i got an E) and a VERY random range in maths.

I know I can get that up next year, as this year I have been very busy with EPQ (which was marked as 48/50, will almost definitely be an A* if moderation agrees) so have had little time to revise. I'm going to mention my EPQ in my PS and interviews as well as how it has affected my grades and that I've learned for next time that I need to get better at multitasking- but Manchester doesn't consider EPQ very much for my course so I doubt the A* will help much.

I know predicted grades can be slightly lower than requirements, but can I still get in with those likely mock grades?

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. Firstly, I cannot speak for Manchester but I have known universities to make offers higher than predicted grades in the hopes that people will improve. It might be helpful to contact Manchester admissions directly and see what they say. However, there are always other options such as going to a different university, applying through UCAS clearing if you do get better than predicted grades or reapplying after receiving your actual grades. My advise would be to not worry too much at the moment and just try your best in your mocks, then work out a plan after receiving your grades back. Please feel free to ask me any questions you have.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Reply 2
The usual advice for your 5 UCAS choices is :

1 or 2 just above your predicted grades

2 or 3 at your predicted grades

1 significantly below your predicted grades

If you are applying to less competitive degree subjects or to 'lower' Unis, you can afford to be more risky - ie. 2 choices above your grades etc.

More info/advice in How to Avoid 5 Rejections here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Original post by howlin09
Hi,

Hi,
So I currently go to Manchester and study History!
For my course, they were lenient with the grades e.g friend needed AAA but got AAB and she got in etc
However, for STEM it may be different. My friend got AAB (B in Chemistry to study Chemistry) and they were not forgiving and now they're doing foundation year. So it really varies on how nice admissions may be!

I was in a similar boat to you, I put all my effort into my EPQ that my summer mocks were not ideal. (D in maths) But by my actual exams I managed to come out with A*A*A (A in maths). So it is definitely possible to go up grades quickly, especially in maths!

Quick Reply

Latest