The Student Room Group

psychology graduate question HELP!

How hard is it to secure an assistant psychologist role in a clinical setting, if I already have a years placement experience in the same industry. Would you suggest returning to the same placement provider? Would they let me in easier because i have experience there? Finally, is a low 2:1 adequate enough for this or would i need a high 2:1 to apply to a clinical doctorate course. Thank u in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by LucyL5367
How hard is it to secure an assistant psychologist role in a clinical setting, if I already have a years placement experience in the same industry. Would you suggest returning to the same placement provider? Would they let me in easier because i have experience there? Finally, is a low 2:1 adequate enough for this or would i need a high 2:1 to apply to a clinical doctorate course. Thank u in advance!

A low 2:1 would potentially be OK if you were able to get a good amount of relevant experience, or possibly a postgraduate qualification to add to it. AP roles are extremely competitive. Going back to the placement provider could be a good idea, even if just to ask them to consider you if a role opens up. I applied for dozens of AP roles before finding one, and I got lucky with that one because it opened up within the company I was already working for, so that worked in my favour. Be prepared for rejections, because (most likely) there will be many, just because of how competitive the roles are.

Quick Reply

Latest