The Student Room Group

TSR's Big Help Out – ask a TSR volunteer!

30212411048_c2d7db49c2_k-1.jpg

The Coronation weekend comes to an end with the Big Help Out on Monday 8th May!

As part of a festival of volunteering, we've set up this thread for you to ask anything you wanted to ask about volunteering or volunteers on TSR.

You can find out about the team and how it is structured here.

You can apply to join the team of volunteers as a Forum Helper by making a thread in the Forum Helper Applications forum.
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Watching :cool:
Reply 2
I've managed to persuade a few volunteers to keep an eye on this thread, so if there's anything you wanted to know about what it's like to be a TSR volunteer (Forum Helper, VT or VSL) then now is the chance to ask! :h:
The 'big help out' is a nice idea but when people are working so many hours to try to have enough money for survival being time poor is a real thing. I expect a lot of people will be relaxing today and just enjoying not being at work.

I volunteer every weekend at a horse sanctuary. This is my main volunteering priority now although I do still enjoy TSR.
I went twice this weekend (mainly to avoid coronation coverage) but I am having today off :smile:

I would encourage anyone to volunteer long term if they are able. There are a lot of charities which are crying out for volunteers and do fantastic work. It's really rewarding to see emaciated horses become healthy, happy and rehomed.
I'm excited to answer any questions anyone might have! 🙂
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
OK, I'll kick off with a couple of questions like a panel host trying to break the ice... :lol:

How did you come to start volunteering for TSR?

How much of your time does it take up?
I started volunteering here on TSR because I was already spending a fair amount of time here as a regular user, and wanted to get involved in planning fun projects around the forums and engage in the behind-the-scenes conversations.

Volunteering on TSR is very flexible and you can take on as much (or as little) as you wish. Some weeks I might spend several hours (perhaps 4-5) volunteering and other weeks it may be a fair bit less, depending on how busy I am offline or how much I am wanting to do online.
(edited 11 months ago)
To elaborate a bit further, I’ve recently been quite busy co-ordinating and writing my part of the Coronation special Quiz of the Week, planning/setting goals for the D&CA team’s next six months (expect some exciting things!), helping with the local election threads, etc.

I expect things will calm down a tad next month for me, so I think I will be able to reduce my activity back to normal levels (while I am busy IRL) before it becomes time to gear up for exam results in August.
(edited 11 months ago)
1. Uh. I started off as an FH because I kinda felt like it and helping others was something I liked doing then I (edit: A member of CS asked me to become a VT) became a volunteer and started to get involved in some projects like the exam chat thread making.
2. Uh, I don't know how long I spend to be completely honest but I might need to find some sort of software that can help me - in conclusion, I don't know because I have no perception of time.
(edited 11 months ago)
I started as a FH, and then became part of the VT, mostly because I've been here that long that I felt as though I might as well be useful on TSR instead of gathering dust. It doesn't take up more time than I was already spending on here - I'm just more useful now.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I've managed to persuade a few volunteers to keep an eye on this thread, so if there's anything you wanted to know about what it's like to be a TSR volunteer (Forum Helper, VT or VSL) then now is the chance to ask! :h:

How popular are you volunteers with the TSR public?
Original post by justlearning1469

Me, not very - I’m fairly new to the VT. I would say maybe @CatusStarbright , @KA_P , @04MR17 are among the more popular ones.

- I was persuaded by another volunteer (true story)
- I've never measured it and I am probably a bit scared to! But like others have said, it really varies. During school breaks I post A LOT, whereas during term time I'm a bit more limited.

I won Grow Your Grades six years ago and @The Learn Ranger phoned me to tell me the news. While we were talking he mentioned that I'd be a good fit for the volunteer team. I didn't do anything about it at the time, but about a year later in July 2018 I decided to submit an application based on the board I most frequently posted in (Relationships) looking like it could use an extra pair of hands to maintain.

How much time it takes up varies based on what's going on in the rest of my life and what projects I'm involved in. I've a full-time job, do the majority of the housework for a household of 4, have an active social life, dedicate time to my hobbies, we're trying to buy a house, etc - I make volunteering on TSR work around my lifestyle by only taking on as much as I can handle and only committing to tasks that interest me. I don't feel pressured to contribute more than I am willing to give nor am I made to feel bad when I need to take a step back from the site to focus on real life now and then.

Back when I started I'd say there was a certain animosity from elements of the active public users - in part because volunteers were much more visibly moderating the site at the time. It was very easy to group us with the paid staff as one big authoritative blob. Nowadays I feel the separation between volunteers and staff is much more apparent to public users and the treatment we get is different.

One look at the recent community award winners and nominees shows the popularity of many volunteers on the site. :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7323835
Original post by JA03
Me, not very - I’m fairly new to the VT. I would say maybe @CatusStarbright , @KA_P , @04MR17 are among the more popular ones.

Thanks for the tag, this is a first I think. :redface:
My desire to volunteer for TSR stemmed from the kindness and support I received from all the members during my GCSE and A-Levels. Wanting to give back to the site, I applied and soon after began my role as a forum helper in July 2021. As time passed, I became a volunteer a year later. Currently, I am involved in Chat, University, and Study Help. If anyone is interested in the exact timeline of my involvement, the dates are listed on my TSR profile.

Since we are volunteers, the amount of time we spend on the platform is entirely at our discretion. Personally, I devote a few hours every week to it, but my activity drops significantly during May/June due to exams.
While I am on this platform, I remain occupied behind the scenes, devising projects and brainstorming ways to improve the sections in which I volunteer. Presently, I am extending my support to the Chemistry and Cardiff University forums.

I think my popularity varies depending on the forum. Those who frequent the forums where I volunteer are probably familiar with me, while those who frequent forums that I don’t tend to post may not have heard of me before.
Guess I should answer my own questions:

How did I come to be a volunteer? I don't completely remember but it was definitely suggested to me, I think by a former member of the CS (likely when sorting out an MHoC issue back in the day :rolleyes:) who said I was already doing lots of the stuff a FH would do in D&CA, and so I might as well join the team in a formal capacity! And then MHoC closed and I realised I might as well devote some time to the rest of the section, and here I am co-leading it! :lol:

How much time does it take up? As others have said, this can vary quite a lot. I get email notifications for all my watched threads so I jump into TSR briefly but often every day, really. (This is quite personal though; some volunteers prefer to come on less often and work through everything in one go.) I probably spent more time, being a VSL, working behind the scenes than posting on the public forums, but those duties can take up a few hours a week, depending on what is happening on site or in the news!

That depends which members of the TSR public you're asking about which volunteers. I don't think it's permanently damaged my street cred, but that would require me to have had some before :tongue:
How did I become a Volunteer?
I came to TSR for help and advice from the amazing users here on the medicine application process. The more I used TSR the more I wanted to pay it forward - so I did. I applied to become an FH in April/May last year. I then was asked to become a VT in December/January.
How much time does it take up?
It varies massively depending on what other commitments I have at the time. The reason why I was able to become FH then VT is that it doesn't have a time commitment which is incredibly useful for the volunteers who have very busy lives. I am comfortable committing more or less time depending on the circumstances. Anyone who is considering becoming an FH you are not pressured to commit a certain amount of time and that is something I am very grateful for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending