The Student Room Group

GCSE Results 2023: Didn't do as well as you hoped?

Results day is here! :smile:

For many of you it’s a day you've been thinking about and perhaps worrying about for months, and as much as we hope that everyone is happy with their results, it's inevitable that some of you won't be. :frown:

If you’re in this situation, don't panic! All is not lost, and we'll be around all day to help you with any questions you might have. :hugs:

Help! I didn't get a 4 or 5 in English or Maths

You need to talk to your current school about retaking. If you're heading somewhere else in September (sixth form or college), you need to contact them too. They might still accept you and allow you to retake next year, or you could retake at your current school.

Check which English GCSE you took. Colleges and sixth forms usually require a 4 or above in English language rather than English literature. If it isn't specified, then you're probably safe but ask if you are unsure.

If you did get a grade 4, you may still want to retake to try for a higher grade. You could consider retaking in November rather than next summer. Discuss the options available to you with your college/sixth form.

Not planning to continue with further education? It is still advisable to retake English and maths it will keep your options open for jobs later in life.

Help! I didn't get the grades for my sixth form/college

They may let you in regardless, or they could ask you if you'd like to change subjects/course if your grades for key subjects aren’t strong enough, or to come back in a few days and they'll let you know.

If you haven't got in, all is not lost! Have a look at other colleges in your area it's fairly likely that one of them will accept you. You could also look in to retaking or consider alternative qualifications and options (see below). Remember that there is no single route to success.

Help! I didn't get the grades to do the subjects I want

Think about why you didn't get the grade(s)? Is it that you weren't very interested in the subject? Did you revise thoroughly or did you focus on other subjects? Was it a subject you struggled with? Are there reasons for your grade(s) being lower than expected?

A levels (and other courses at this level) require a lot of work and are a big step up from GCSEs. Schools set entry requirements for a reason, and you're going to need to be interested in the subject and willing to put the effort in to keep up and do well. Consider whether you need to change the subjects you had planned to study. You can ask more questions about what particular A-Levels are like using the Study Help sub forums.

If you decide you'd still like to proceed with your chosen subjects, give the college/sixth form a ring and explain why you would still like to give the subject a go. They might ask to see some of your work to see if they think you're capable, or to talk to your school or a former teacher. Tell them if you feel there were other factors affecting your results that you would like them to take into account. If the answer is still ‘no’, then look at some other colleges and ask for advice from your current school.

Another option is to self-teach the subject, but this can be expensive, difficult and definitely not a decision to be taken lightly. You would also still need to find somewhere willing to let you sit the exams as a private candidate nearer the time.

Are my grades still good enough for uni/course x?

Read through the advice on this thread: "Are these GCSEs good enough for x" - the guide

I don't think I want to do A levels any more

That's fine - there are plenty of other options out there. Under current rules everyone must do one of the following until they are 18:

stay in full-time education

start an apprenticeship or traineeship

spend 20 hours or more a week volunteering, while in part-time education or training

Have a look at the following forums: BTECs; T-levels; apprenticeships and alternatives to university; and career sectors and graduate employment for more information and inspiration. There are organisations like the National Careers Service that can help you too. It's also worth talking to your current school as they'll have plenty of experience with this sort of thing.

And finally please remember...

Whatever your grades, remember that just getting them is an achievement in itself. Everyone is different and there is always another way to do things. Your results don't define you.

:smile: #BeResultsProud :smile:

If you have any questions about your situation, TSR is here to help. Look for those of us with red advisor titles and the Community Staff, Volunteers and Forum Helpers.

Other GCSE discussions:
Appeals information 2023
"Are these GCSEs good enough for x" - the guide
Post your GCSE results
GCSE Results Day Countdown
(edited 8 months ago)
i would like as many people as possible to see this thread here (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7390265). because i felt like i disappointed basically everyone around me with my GCSE results, it did affect me quite mentally. i do not want people to go through the same things like i did, feeling like a failure, not even wanting to live life etc! therefore this i cannot stress: if you know anyone who felt downhearted or felt like they underperformed (it could even be yourself), please click on the above link and make sure you share! i want them to read this and hopefully it will make their day.

Quick Reply

Latest