The Student Room Group

gap year

im currently on my second gap year and im struggling mentally any tips
Hi, I’m also on a gap year and it feels so weird with nothing to do. You could try getting a job if you haven’t already? Or start a new hobby? I think trying to create a good routine might make you feel better?
Hey,

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling mentally, just wanted to check that there's someone you can speak to about these things. Sometimes family/friends are a great first start but I appreciate that's not always the easiest option if you're not comfortable sharing things with them. I've added the link to Mind's page on Information and Support below which might be a good resource in terms of finding the right support.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/

I took a gap year before University as I really needed a break between A-Levels and University. Whilst I found it very useful in terms of getting the academic break I needed, it was also a very big change from the constant routine I was used to. I balanced my time between a few jobs, playing netball socially and planning small weekend trips and also bigger travel plans for the Summer. Creating a routine with things to look forward to really helped motivate me and keep me stay on track. Maybe you could find something you enjoy doing to commit to regularly? Could be anything really like a local sports club, volunteering or social group?

Just a reminder that you are not alone and there will always be someone to talk to.

Quick Reply

Latest