The Student Room Group

EO -Ref:260554

Hello,

checks are going through to start as a EO in Sheffield :smile:

does anyone know how long it took for a start date after a provisional offer and also what's the training like?

thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sophL123
Hello,

does anyone know how long it took for a start date after a provisional offer and also what's the training like?

thank you

Congratulations on the provisional offer and I hope it works out well for you!

I'm with, very likely, a different part of the Civil Service to where you have applied but a lot of it is pretty standard.

Training/on-the-job learning will differ from post to post and dept to dept (with the exception of the standard civil service inductions). As we have everyone from project managers to engineers across the various civil service depts. It won't be anything too daunting though and your first few weeks should be orientated around getting you settled in and understanding the ways of working.

Start dates will likely vary in a similar way too, due to different places having different onboarding and security check requirements but I'm sure it won't be too long. Once the ball is rolling, HR tends to be pretty quick with things.

Hopefully you will gain some good working experience from the scheme. We don't always pay people hat they would be worth out in industry, but the Civil Service pension is still excellent and the experience of working within government is still pretty unique and rewarding :smile:

If there's any advice or answers I could possibly provide, let me know :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Hello,

thank you

Congrats. What section are you going to be in? Did the onboarding process take long? I have had to update mine 3 times already, such a process.

Hopefully your background check comes back quick enough for you to get a start date
Reply 3
Thank you,

what you mean onboarding?

I'm not sure which section yet as I haven't been told, the checks are still going through atm.

are you a EO?
Reply 4
Oh sorry yes just waiting for them checks to come through!

Congrats!! just a long waiting game now
Thank you,

what you mean onboarding?

I'm not sure which section yet as I haven't been told, the checks are still going through atm.

are you a EO?

Onboarding is what we call the process of bringing a new joiner into the organisation. Checks, HR, assignment to a specific post, starting date etc
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
ok thanks

so after the checks do you know how long it takes to get a start date?

thank you
As I said earlier, depends on how things come together in the onboarding process. Last time we had a new starter, I think it was a month or so.

What is it you are hoping to be assigned to post wise?
Reply 8
ok thank you

the position is EO in visa and immigration so guess I just wait to see where they put me.

It said it was hybrid but I've seen comments that they are office base now?

thank you
ok thank you

the position is EO in visa and immigration so guess I just wait to see where they put me.

It said it was hybrid but I've seen comments that they are office base now?

thank you

No doubt they will lay out the working arrangements in the formal offer letter or such. Where I work, we are still hybrid and likely will never change. I do 1-2 days a week in office and then the rest working from home (WFH). Works pretty well tbh for us.

Key is, enjoy and use the experience you gain there to improve yurself and your prospects. The attention to detail, integrity and commitment he job will require of you will pay off when people start recognising your contribution to your new team :smile:

My part of the CS is very different to visa and immigration work (I'm an engineer) but I've found it rewarding and the job security and pension are a comfort in the current times.
Reply 10
does anyone know what are the working hours for this vacancy please. I live in Manchester so not sure if it's worth the commute everyday or shall i just move to Sheffield altogether. Also depends on if it would be hybrid or office based.
Original post by ZHZ2023
does anyone know what are the working hours for this vacancy please. I live in Manchester so not sure if it's worth the commute everyday or shall i just move to Sheffield altogether. Also depends on if it would be hybrid or office based.

I think it can depend on the specific role/office requirements. I believe flexi-time should be in place and usual office hours are 9-5 or 5.30. Hybrid seems to be an option for many still but again depends on the requirement of the role which should be laid out in the actual job offer .

Others may be able to provide more insight than I can though
Reply 12
Original post by ZHZ2023

Hello,

Have you gone for the EO job in sheffield?
Reply 13
Original post by JDSensations
I think it can depend on the specific role/office requirements. I believe flexi-time should be in place and usual office hours are 9-5 or 5.30. Hybrid seems to be an option for many still but again depends on the requirement of the role which should be laid out in the actual job offer .

Others may be able to provide more insight than I can though

Hello.

do you work in the home office?

thank you
Hello.

do you work in the home office?

thank you

No, just going off experience from the usual set up for local government/ civil service type jobs and advertised jobs I have seen. There are folk on here that do work for various different departments which could provide more up to date info
Reply 15
Original post by JDSensations
No, just going off experience from the usual set up for local government/ civil service type jobs and advertised jobs I have seen. There are folk on here that do work for various different departments which could provide more up to date info

Okay thank you, that would be useful!
Reply 16
Hello,

Have you gone for the EO job in sheffield?

Hi, yes just in the checks stage.
Reply 17
Yeah same here! have you had the email regarding pension yet?

I have no idea the hours etc and there's not been any update for abit think it can take some time
Original post by ZHZ2023
Hi, yes just in the checks stage.

What info/documents did you have to provide for the checks?
Reply 19
Yeah same here! have you had the email regarding pension yet?

I have no idea the hours etc and there's not been any update for abit think it can take some time

yes that was few weeks ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending