The Student Room Group

First year medicine in UK - failed all exams

Heya,

I am a first year medical student, and I just went through the worst streak of exams my whole life.
We have just had 3 exams, all of which I think I have bottled, and now that I've got resits in just under 3 months, I'm seriously concerned about bottling those as well. 3 months seem a long time, but resits are a day apart, and I'm already feeling the stress

Our uni has a policy that every exam we fail can be resat, but failure upon resit and you're gone.

I've never failed an exam before, so this is all new to me, which makes me gutted - and everyone around me seems to have done well.

Any pieces of advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
The
Reply 1
When do you get your results? You may have done better than you think.
Original post by Anonymous
Heya,

I am a first year medical student, and I just went through the worst streak of exams my whole life.
We have just had 3 exams, all of which I think I have bottled, and now that I've got resits in just under 3 months, I'm seriously concerned about bottling those as well. 3 months seem a long time, but resits are a day apart, and I'm already feeling the stress

Our uni has a policy that every exam we fail can be resat, but failure upon resit and you're gone.

I've never failed an exam before, so this is all new to me, which makes me gutted - and everyone around me seems to have done well.

Any pieces of advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
The

There’s a big difference between “I think I bottled” and actually knowing for sure that you’ve been unsuccessful. If I understood correctly, they felt terrible, but you’re still waiting for results?

Firstly, don’t write them off just yet. You will always remember the questions you answered badly, or didn’t know. And forget the many questions you did in fact answer well. And again, people around you may just be afraid to say they found it hard.

So… wait for the results. Take a break. Refresh / invest in yourself.

IF you find you have in fact been unsuccessful, then firstly - you are not alone. This may well be the first time you’ve failed something. We’re all used to being at the top previously, But plenty of people fail things at med school (me included, many times) or narrowly scrape through (also me, the rest of the time).

Reflect on where things went wrong. Be honest with yourself. Did you study? If you did, did you study smartly / effectively? Are you able to get feedback about specific weak areas?

The “resits = last chance” can feel like huge pressure which only serves to make things feel even worse, so try to focus on studying well and doing the best you can, and putting that to one side rather than being blindsided by it.

Best of luck. And you may yet have done better than you think!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Hi,

Yeah thanks alot for the reply
Im near 100% sure all 3 of them are failed.
But ig Ill have to study these 3 months and see how it goes
I’ll try and not think about failure in the meantime

Original post by junior.doctor
There’s a big difference between “I think I bottled” and actually knowing for sure that you’ve been unsuccessful. If I understood correctly, they felt terrible, but you’re still waiting for results?

Firstly, don’t write them off just yet. You will always remember the questions you answered badly, or didn’t know. And forget the many questions you did in fact answer well. And again, people around you may just be afraid to say they found it hard.

So… wait for the results. Take a break. Refresh / invest in yourself.

IF you find you have in fact been unsuccessful, then firstly - you are not alone. This may well be the first time you’ve failed something. We’re all used to being at the top previously, But plenty of people fail things at med school (me included, many times) or narrowly scrape through (also me, the rest of the time).

Reflect on where things went wrong. Be honest with yourself. Did you study? If you did, did you study smartly / effectively? Are you able to get feedback about specific weak areas?

The “resits = last chance” can feel like huge pressure which only serves to make things feel even worse, so try to focus on studying well and doing the best you can, and putting that to one side rather than being blindsided by it.

Best of luck. And you may yet have done better than you think!
Reply 4
Hi thanks a tonne for the reply
Results come out 3 weeks before resits
Given the three exams are 1 day apart, I dont think I can leave it till 3 weeks to see if I passed or not
I REAAALY hope ive done better 😫

Original post by Democracy
When do you get your results? You may have done better than you think.
Reply 5
Like the other people said, maybe it did not go so bad as you think it did. However, if you feel concerned I suggest you to study strategically now and go through the syllabus to make sure you cover all topics, so by the time you get your result you are prepared either way. No revision is useless ad it will help you tremendously next year and as a doctor as a whole.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending