The Student Room Group

Failed my OSCE.

Please I just need some support right now.

My medical school decided to publish results tonight instead of tomorrow so I can't even contact anyone in the university to help me.

I passed on percentage, but failed too many stations.

I'm gutted cos I worked so hard, and I'm so scared.
Reply 1
First off, I'd say to try and relax and put things in perspective. I just qualified from med school and off the top of my head I cant think of anyone who didnt fail an OSCE station or nearly fail one. It is not the end of the world, and noone takes any notice of it. It is not a poor reflection on you or your knowledge. We all have out bad days, for whatever reason. We can get flustered, get a bad start to a station and feel like you're not making up for it. Sometimes you do, sometimes you dont - it comes with the game and it comes around.

It is useful to practice OSCE stations on your own and getting real experience on patients on the wards habitually. The key is to convince people you've done this before or hundeds of times before, or are confident enough in your approach.

My advise is not to beat yourself up about it, learn from your mistakes and rather than let the bad news get you down, use it to your advantage to prepare better for the next one and the one after that.

If there's one thing in medicine that never ends, it's exams.
Reply 2
I think firstly try and get feedback from your module lead or whatever. Then practice it on your friends and on the wards.

I failed my OSCE too so I am trying to practice as much as I can. Practice makes perfect. GOod luck!

Also, failing OSCE Is nothing compared to failing to becoming a good doc.
Reply 3
Original post by Catchetat

Well, nice sentiment, but you need to pass your OSCEs/exams in order to have a chance at becoming a good doctor.
Original post by harmony23
Please I just need some support right now.

My medical school decided to publish results tonight instead of tomorrow so I can't even contact anyone in the university to help me.

I passed on percentage, but failed too many stations.

I'm gutted cos I worked so hard, and I'm so scared.

These things do happen to the best of us.
Well not me, but I think that has been luck as much as skill (have passed minimum number more than once).
Most med schools have a second osce round rather than making you resit the whole year - i hope yours does too, but if you have to resit it really isn't the end of the world.
Just use that year to really bolster your CV so by the time you come to specialty applications in F2 you'll be very competitive.
Original post by Catchetat
I think firstly try and get feedback from your module lead or whatever. Then practice it on your friends and on the wards.

I failed my OSCE too so I am trying to practice as much as I can. Practice makes perfect. GOod luck!

AHH....I have my OSCE in two hours. :eek::eek:

Seriously, taking a good OSCE and History are probably two of the most important skills for becoming a good doctor.

I have seen people that are book smart and do really well in the first two to three years. When we turn up to hospital, they go off on tangents because they have no idea on how to direct a history correctly.

I once remember this one guy failing to diagnose that a patient had gastric malignancy because he went off on a tangent. Smart guy though.

TO the OP....I am not sure what your situation is or if you can have retakes....don't despair. Normally, examiners are fair more lenient that they appear. They want you to do well. At least that is what they tell me. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I had the exact same thing, passed overall, but failed too many stations, and a few of those by a tiny percent. I found being fast enough to get everything in, in OSCE station timing, really difficult and must have missed things.
The one thing that got me through the second round was practice - I was struggling so I asked friends for help, and a whole bunch of them did individual practice sessions with me. It meant that most stations I approached, I could do fine because I'd practised so much, and I'd practised the timings.

It's hard not to take it as a massive knock to your confidence, but you'd be surprised how much you can improve. I'd thought I was good enough first time, but I got so, so much better by the end - I hadn't realised how much improvement was possible.

Good luck.
Reply 7
Hello!I failed my OSCE too and a recruiter in the UK helped me.
hey I have failed my OSCE and resisting it in the summer . i need someone who can help me
Reply 9
Original post by moshy123
hey I have failed my OSCE and resisting it in the summer . i need someone who can help me

Make a new thread, rather than bumping an old one.
Original post by stoyfan
Make a new thread, rather than bumping an old one.

thanks how do I make it ? I dont actually know it
Bumping a thread that's over 5 years old, nice.
wow...after 11yrs. I am from the future. I have a similar situation. Failed my national PA exam becuause of the stupid training from Swansea university. I am awaiting results . I am really screwed if I fail again since I won't be having a single being to practise with !! no job and no repeat. Any idea what to do if I dont have anybody to practise with !!!☹️. I am thinking of leaving the dream. or go to a different country and work there.
Original post by LatifahShii
wow...after 11yrs. I am from the future. I have a similar situation. Failed my national PA exam becuause of the stupid training from Swansea university. I am awaiting results . I am really screwed if I fail again since I won't be having a single being to practise with !! no job and no repeat. Any idea what to do if I dont have anybody to practise with !!!☹️. I am thinking of leaving the dream. or go to a different country and work there.

According to the two threads you made last week, you're a 15-year-old thinking about applying to medicine and seeking advice on work experience, and a former radiographer who has already changed careers to medicine. This week, you're a PA student who's failing?

There's just no point asking for advice on completely made-up scenarios. Nothing anyone says is likely to apply to your actual situation and it only wastes people's time.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by TheMedicOwl
According to the two threads you made last week, you're a 15-year-old thinking about applying to medicine and seeking advice on work experience, and a former radiographer who has already changed careers to medicine. This week, you're a PA student who's failing?

There's just no point asking for advice on completely made-up scenarios. Nothing anyone says is likely to apply to your actual situation and it only wastes people's time.

sorry ,FBI. I am a PA parent and I let my 15yr old girl use my ID.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending