The Student Room Group

What happens if you fail 3rd year of a Masters?

I am currently doing an MSci degree, and the course was changed this year and is way harder than before (Chemistry degree, new course is almost all organic compared to old inorganic + physical ). I am worried I may fail this year, or at least not reach 50% which would not allow me to continue my integrated masters. Also, I have not submitted any extenuating circumstances (but I could have and should have).

-What would happen if this is the case? What sort of exit degree would i get or would I get a Bacherlors without the dissertation?

-Also this is at Bristol Uni, and i cannot find anything on their website about this.
-Thank you
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by BarnabasB
I am currently doing an MSci degree, and the course was changed this year and is way harder than before (Chemistry degree, new course is almost all organic compared to old inorganic + physical ). I am worried I may fail this year, or at least not reach 50% which would not allow me to continue my integrated masters. Also, I have not submitted any extenuating circumstances (but I could have and should have).

-What would happen if this is the case? What sort of exit degree would i get or would I get a Bacherlors without the dissertation?

-Also this is at Bristol Uni, and i cannot find anything on their website about this.
-Thank you

See the "Additional requirements for progression within an Integrated Masters Degree" section of 30. Student Progression and Completion (modular undergraduate), which forms part of Bristol's Regulations and Code of Practice for Taught Programmes. If specific interest will be this clause:

"30.27 When a third-year student does not qualify for progression or chooses to withdraw from an Integrated Masters programme at the end of the third year, the Faculty Board of Examiners may award an Ordinary Degree or an equivalent Honours degree (on the basis of the mark achieved at the first attempt if reassessment of a unit was required) where the student has successfully met all the criteria, as described in the programme specification." (emphasis added by me)

The majority of that same page goes into the rules regarding progression from one year to the next. The rules are not straightforward, but include options for resits, reassessments, being allowed to conditionally progress and make-up a credit deficit etc. I suggest you read the entire page in detail to establish what your would be if you were to fall short of the required credits.
Reply 2
Original post by BarnabasB

-Thank you

Hi, you probably know me already (I'm a Senior Lecturer in Chemistry at Bristol). I'm sorry to hear that you have had a tough time. Please feel free to come and have a chat with me, your Personal Tutor or the Senior Tutor about this. It is not too late to submit an EC form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending