The Student Room Group

Bottling my uni exams

Don't know if this is the right place - I just need to get this off my chest and get replies making fun of me so I can take my mind off things and get some perspective.

I'm in final year of maths BSc and absolutely bottling the exams. I got firsts in 1st and 2nd year and got a funded research position last summer. Then I looked at my bank account and realised I needed a job in 3rd year. I ended up working weekends and went weeks without any actual days off to get by. I submitted a crap dissertation and now I sat two exams which I may very well have failed.

There's obviously more going on (mental health and I may need to go on SSRIs again blah blah blah) but right now all I can think of is how I squandered this year. I will not get to do it again. I really wanted to do a PhD at some point but that may never happen now as I will most likely get a 2.1 (or a 2.2 even lol). Loads of maths grads get firsts so bye bye funding. I'm going through an actual grieving process over it. It's really hit my confidence in general, too. The feeling of turning up to an exam confident and the dread slowly hitting you is something I haven't felt in years and now it feels like I'm useless in all aspects of life and will not amount to anything.

So yeah, I'm basically Arsenal but a uni student.
Original post by prickly_goblin
Don't know if this is the right place - I just need to get this off my chest and get replies making fun of me so I can take my mind off things and get some perspective.

I'm in final year of maths BSc and absolutely bottling the exams. I got firsts in 1st and 2nd year and got a funded research position last summer. Then I looked at my bank account and realised I needed a job in 3rd year. I ended up working weekends and went weeks without any actual days off to get by. I submitted a crap dissertation and now I sat two exams which I may very well have failed.

There's obviously more going on (mental health and I may need to go on SSRIs again blah blah blah) but right now all I can think of is how I squandered this year. I will not get to do it again. I really wanted to do a PhD at some point but that may never happen now as I will most likely get a 2.1 (or a 2.2 even lol). Loads of maths grads get firsts so bye bye funding. I'm going through an actual grieving process over it. It's really hit my confidence in general, too. The feeling of turning up to an exam confident and the dread slowly hitting you is something I haven't felt in years and now it feels like I'm useless in all aspects of life and will not amount to anything.

Moved this to Mathematics, hopefully you get some answers soon.
Although I have not attended University yet to relate, but I can understand how you are feeling. Life is complicated at times and firstly I would like to say be proud of what you have done and how far you come so far. It is not over just yet. It is not true to say that you will not amount to anything. Although things are looking rough right now, there is always light at the end of the tunnel.
Have you spoken to friends and also people on your course?
In terms of mental health It is always good to talk to someone and start taking up a hobby to refresh your mind, studying studying studying is not good for anyone we all need a break and we all need balance in our lives.
Sorry I can't give advice regarding the course, but I know things will get better chin up champ. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by prickly_goblin

Really sorry to hear this.

Firstly getting a research position over summer will immediately separate you from quite a portion of others, I wish I got an opportunity.

You can still apply for a Masters, which if you get a distinction will be proof that this year was just a blip and you are a very good mathematician. So a PhD is still very possible, do not give up.

Quick Reply

Latest