The Student Room Group

Access to Radiography

Hi,
I plan on going to BCU next year to do Diagnostic Radiography. My original plans of doing an access to HE in Science has fell through, but I have found an access to Radiography. BCU ask for a science based access course. Do we think they will welcome this just as much?

Thanks!
Original post by Misssmith99
Hi,
I plan on going to BCU next year to do Diagnostic Radiography. My original plans of doing an access to HE in Science has fell through, but I have found an access to Radiography. BCU ask for a science based access course. Do we think they will welcome this just as much?

Thanks!

Call the admissions department at BCU and ask if they accept it.
Hi,

Thanks!

Hi omg I'm doing the exact same thing and I also thought that but I'm pretty sure they should accept it because its literally a course in radiography, which directly links to the degree
Hi,

Thanks!

@Misssmith99

Hello! I've taught on Access to H.E for about 10 years, the title of the pathway (course) does not matter that much, for instance I get students on Nursing and Midwifery that want to become an Occupational Therapist, and we have Primary teachers to be on a social sciences pathway. The key thing is that you get the right number of science credits that they are looking for - speak to the admissions tutor at the University. I would assume that with it being a validated program called Access to Radiography then you should be fine but always double check!

Radiography is very competitive so I would make sure you have good GCSE's in English and Maths, they might enrol you with a functional skills level 2 in both but there's a good chance you would be at the back of the que when you apply for Uni if you are up against people with the GCSE's already

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Hi Marc

That’s brilliant! I spoke to the uni and the response was “oh I think that will accept that one” so it made me a bit weary! I have all my GCSEs in place, and A levels just nothing for science.. I have work experience in MRI and hoping to keep pushing forward!
Do you find it is more competitive for students who are trying to get onto a course with an access course?

Original post by Arden University
@Misssmith99

Hello! I've taught on Access to H.E for about 10 years, the title of the pathway (course) does not matter that much, for instance I get students on Nursing and Midwifery that want to become an Occupational Therapist, and we have Primary teachers to be on a social sciences pathway. The key thing is that you get the right number of science credits that they are looking for - speak to the admissions tutor at the University. I would assume that with it being a validated program called Access to Radiography then you should be fine but always double check!

Radiography is very competitive so I would make sure you have good GCSE's in English and Maths, they might enrol you with a functional skills level 2 in both but there's a good chance you would be at the back of the que when you apply for Uni if you are up against people with the GCSE's already

Marc
Hi Marc

That’s brilliant! I spoke to the uni and the response was “oh I think that will accept that one” so it made me a bit weary! I have all my GCSEs in place, and A levels just nothing for science.. I have work experience in MRI and hoping to keep pushing forward!
Do you find it is more competitive for students who are trying to get onto a course with an access course?

@Misssmith99
I only know the figures for Nursing and Midwifery as that is my area, but the Greater Manchester area universities have a very high amount of former Access students on their H.E programs. The thinking behind this is that the Access course is very tough and teaches people academic skills (A levels doesn't really which is the route I took), and also Access students have more life experience so are generally better at what is today called academic resilience

Marc

Quick Reply

Latest