The Student Room Group

Mum comes in the room to check if im studying every 10 mins

i feel pressured to be studying everytime she comes in and she questions me why im not if im not so i have to pretend everytime she comes in and i cannot get into a concentrated mindset because she keeps breaking it, exams are close and i feel doomed because of this, and when i tell my dad he says dont blame your failure on others when she lieterally teh sole problem and reason why my grades have plateaued, and when i physcially push her away when she stands there looking at me on purpose minutes straight she calls my dad lying that i hit her and i get beaten up. Any advice on thsi situation, ive already talked to the school counseillor and they are clueless hwo to approach this
Reply 1
Maybe try a different space, like school or your local library, or even studying with headphones and what your doing obvious (screen showing or textbooks out) so she can see that you are and you won't be interrupted.
Reply 2
write a study schedule by the hour including when breaks will be and give a copy to your mom then study with your door open so she can check on you discreetly and hold you accountable for doing what youve said you would without interacting with you

also not the nicest thing to hear but i think it meeds to be said- you cant blame your mom for your grades because she most def isnt the only reason why your grades arent improving. if you wanted to 'concentrate' you would, concentration isnt a mindset but determination, dedication and drive are- if there was loud construction work going on outside your window the day before your most important exam you wouldn't give up on revising you'd push through or find somewhere else to sit and it also sounds to me like youre not doing much work if youre constantly having to pretend to be working when your mom comes in. If you were a hardworking student who cares alot about your exams id imagine a convo with your mom going something like this:

mom: why aren't you revising?
you: just taking a break i'll get back to it in five

instead of pushing your mom and paying attention to her checking in on you and complaining about her to your dad use that time to improve your grades- you can only change so much but your grades and your attitude towards your moms misguided attempt to help you are within your control and yours alone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending