The Student Room Group

Choices for Maths

I'm sitting A-Levels this year(Maths, Geog, History) and hoping to achive A*AA/A*A*A respectively. Anything can happen on the day though, so this is somewhat hypothetical assuming I get the grades I hope.

I'm also planning on taking a gap year to study FM.

My GCSEs are fairly average compared to the cohort, 87766665555.

I want to apply for UCL, KCL, Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds probably. I also have ICL noted as a real aspirational but I think that's probably out of the question.

Are my choices hugely over-ambitious? I'm aware Maths isn't as competitive as other courses, but I think it's still pretty competitive. Eg. Imperial has a 14:1 applications:tongue:lace ratio.
Original post by AnotherStudent!
I'm sitting A-Levels this year(Maths, Geog, History) and hoping to achive A*AA/A*A*A respectively. Anything can happen on the day though, so this is somewhat hypothetical assuming I get the grades I hope.

I'm also planning on taking a gap year to study FM.

My GCSEs are fairly average compared to the cohort, 87766665555.

I want to apply for UCL, KCL, Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds probably. I also have ICL noted as a real aspirational but I think that's probably out of the question.

Are my choices hugely over-ambitious? I'm aware Maths isn't as competitive as other courses, but I think it's still pretty competitive. Eg. Imperial has a 14:1 applications:tongue:lace ratio.

Imperial is extremely competitive and along with most other students you will likely be rejected. I would give it a miss unless you drop UCL. Dont look at too many top London universities as they are very over subscribed and have high rejection rates. I suspect Kings will be fine and Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds will be as well. Have you thought of making a late application for this year it isnt too late. Have a look on ucas course search and filter on show courses with vacancies. There will probably be many good options available without you having to take a gap year for FM,
Original post by swanseajack1
Imperial is extremely competitive and along with most other students you will likely be rejected. I would give it a miss unless you drop UCL. Dont look at too many top London universities as they are very over subscribed and have high rejection rates. I suspect Kings will be fine and Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds will be as well. Have you thought of making a late application for this year it isnt too late. Have a look on ucas course search and filter on show courses with vacancies. There will probably be many good options available without you having to take a gap year for FM,

Thank you - I'll have a look at courses available now(I think Manchester are still available, so may well try there) and will consider whether to make an application there.
Thank you - I'll have a look at courses available now(I think Manchester are still available, so may well try there) and will consider whether to make an application there.

I have just done a quick check Bath, Birmingham, Exeter, Kings, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester are all currently showing vacancies. Some might require FM but others wont. You need to check who requires FM and apply to those that dont. I only went as far as Manchester. Ring each university you intend applying to as sometimes they are left on in error. Maths is generally not particularly an in subject at the moment unlike a few years ago,
Original post by swanseajack1
I have just done a quick check Bath, Birmingham, Exeter, Kings, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester are all currently showing vacancies. Some might require FM but others wont. You need to check who requires FM and apply to those that dont. I only went as far as Manchester. Ring each university you intend applying to as sometimes they are left on in error. Maths is generally not particularly an in subject at the moment unlike a few years ago,

Thank you so much, you didn't have to do that :-) - I'll ring them ASAP - I can't believe so many have vacancies to be honest.
Thank you so much, you didn't have to do that :-) - I'll ring them ASAP - I can't believe so many have vacancies to be honest.

It only takes a couple of minutes. Good luck. Check the courses as they vary massively. As an example Lancaster didnt used to offer Mechanics.
Reply 6
Just be aware that some of these vacancies for Maths may be only for International applicants - mention if you are UK or International when you phone to check they are still taking applications. Remember that applications can close at no notice.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by McGinger
Just be aware that some of these vacancies Doe Maths may be only for International applicants - mention if you are UK or International when you phone to check they are still taking applications. Remember that applications can close at no notice.

Appreciate it mate, I will do

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University which is 11th in the UK for Mathematics (The Complete University Guide 2023). To study a maths degree at Lancaster further maths isn't a requirement. We offer a variety of degrees that also include integrated masters, study abroad programmes or a year in industry.

Please feel free to ask me any questions that you have about Lancaster or university in general.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending