The Student Room Group

id like to know if this paragraph is well structured or not

Stevenson presents Hyde as a character who is disliked and feared throughout the Novella. This is exemplified through the quote ‘’Oh God, the man seemed hardly human, something troglodytic shall we say?’’ The use of the adjective ‘’troglodytic’’ mirrors Darwin’s theory of evolution, however it could also highlight the science of physiognomy. Just by looking at Hyde many feared him, this again can be seen through the lexical choice ‘’Oh God’’, already as the audience have a sense of fear towards Hyde. In addition to this, Stevenson uses the ‘’old story of Dr fell’’ when mentioning Hyde. The noun ‘’Dr fell’’ is the subject of a nursery rhyme about a person who is disliked for no obvious reason. Stevenson has drawn on this tradition and has used this for an unaccountably repellent person. Finally, this links back to the point of Hyde being disliked and feared, as during the Jacobean era, science offered an alternative theory to creation, and many considered science to be going against God. So, Hyde being soaked in zoomorphism would terrify the readers.
Reply 1
I think it looks pretty good, you've included language analysis (AO2), linked back to your point (AO1), and made context references (AO3), which I think is all the GCSE assessment objectives for this paper? You've hit them all pretty consistently throughout, so I think you've done a good job =)
My only thing that I would be careful of is talking about the Jacobean era for a Victorian novel- the Jacobean era was the early 1600s, whereas Stevenson wrote in the mid/late 1800s. All you need to do is replace 'Jacobean' with 'Victorian' and you're pretty much sorted!
Good luck =)
Reply 2
(Original post by spammbo)I think it looks pretty good, you've included language analysis (AO2), linked back to your point (AO1), and made context references (AO3), which I think is all the GCSE assessment objectives for this paper? You've hit them all pretty consistently throughout, so I think you've done a good job =)
My only thing that I would be careful of is talking about the Jacobean era for a Victorian novel- the Jacobean era was the early 1600s, whereas Stevenson wrote in the mid/late 1800s. All you need to do is replace 'Jacobean' with 'Victorian' and you're pretty much sorted!
Good luck =)

yehhh i noticed, i got confused with macbeth, but thank youu

Quick Reply

Latest