The Student Room Group

is diagnostic radiography a good career?

I want to know peoples opinions on diagnostic radiography, is the pay good? are there many jobs available? etc. Thanks !
Reply 1
Lots of jobs. Pay goes from band 5 to 8a under AfC. Happy to answer specific q's if there's anything else you'd like to know?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Random18374748
I want to know peoples opinions on diagnostic radiography, is the pay good? are there many jobs available? etc. Thanks !

You have to define what constitutes "good" pay. If you want to be rich, then don't join the NHS. But its not as bad as the media make out. A newly qualified Band 5 radiographer is going to be on about £25-26k, which is about what you'd get as a graduate with a science degree working in your first lab job. If you can get up to Band 7 or Band 8, the pay is pretty good.
Reply 3
Original post by HellomynameisNev
You have to define what constitutes "good" pay. If you want to be rich, then don't join the NHS. But its not as bad as the media make out. A newly qualified Band 5 radiographer is going to be on about £25-26k, which is about what you'd get as a graduate with a science degree working in your first lab job. If you can get up to Band 7 or Band 8, the pay is pretty good.

How do you get to band 7 or 8
Hi, to the question above, you can get to band 7 with experience. I have a friend who was a radiographer for 7+ years and is now a band 7 and is still expanding her learning by completing courses. I am going to study Diagnostic Radiography in September but if you look at the pay rates online it gives you an estimation of how long you have to work to progress from band 5 to band 6 etc.

https://www.nhsemployers.org/articles/pay-scales-202324
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by tomiixxyx
How do you get to band 7 or 8

Be good at your job, work hard, take on additional responsibilities. Probably do a masters. Then do better than your peers in the application and selection process :smile:
Original post by Random18374748

Diagnostic Radiography offers a wide variety of job opportunities. Some include working in the United Kingdom, where you can work for the NHS, just like others have mentioned. However it also enables opportunities to work abroad, where salaries will vary. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest