The Student Room Group

Engineering online course.

I’ve been looking at engineering as an online course for older learners.
TECOL is the name that keeps coming up, I know it’s been mentioned on here before but that was a few years ago now.
I’ve been onto Pearson and they say that TECOL are approved to provide the courses they list.
I’ve also spoke with them(TECOL)on the phone and the guy seemed very helpful and knowledgeable.
Has anyone had very recent experience of them.
My second option is obviously the Open University.
Thoughts on this??

Thanks.
(edited 11 months ago)
Depends why your doing the course, and what opportunities you expect to open up at the other end. Ive never heard of this course however, is it an access course for university?
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Depends why your doing the course, and what opportunities you expect to open up at the other end. Ive never heard of this course however, is it an access course for university?

TECOL is the course provider company.

The course itself is the Level 3 Engineering maintenance leading into the HNC.
Original post by jimmyybob
TECOL is the course provider company.

The course itself is the Level 3 Engineering maintenance leading into the HNC.

I would look at the HNC courses you are interested in, verify that they accept this program so you know you get to where you want.

Every course will tell you they are great & it opens doors… so I always recommend digging a bit deeper.
I am currently on the bridging modules, before going onto the HNC. The people are friendly, and the course is very flexible. However, I would say the material I have been given so far isn't great at explaining things at times, and sometimes isn't clear. Be prepared to spend a LOT of time working things out through further searches on Internet, in books, etc.

Positives: you can go as fast or as slow as you like on the course, they provide some books in PDF format, have a good payment plan system, are Pearson accredited, and is ideal for older learners like myself who aren't in a position/location that makes attendance on a physical course possible.

The negatives may just be related to the bridging units, or to me, but I'm still happy enough with my course choice so far :wink:
Reply 5
Thanks,I’am trying to decide which of the three Level 3 to take, I’m not sure if Award/Certificate/Diploma are more difficult by level or just more volume of work for each.
Is everything supplied through the log in app.?
Essentially, my pdfs of the course material, ebooks, and assessment briefs (on Word documents) are available on my website login. Technically, you shouldn't need anything else (at least on the course I'm on), but as I said, sone of the course material wasn't straight forward or clear, so you may need to do Internet searches and YouTube videos to properly answer some of the course example/practice questions.
Reply 7
just chiming in here, How you finding the assessments?
Reply 8
I’ve just completed the first one.
It’s ok actually, your given a set of questions with a brief description of what’s expected, then off you go.
Something that wasn’t fully explained at the start was that although you’ve got months to do research, when you actually open (download) the questions you’ve then only got 4 weeks to answer them.
Reply 9
I suppose this isn't a bad thing as it keeps you going on it so that you have to get it done. How much research did it take? It's been a while since I did any studying. I'm guessing the assessment you submitted they will mark it and you can get a resubmission with any adjustments needed.
Reply 10
I haven’t studied in 30 years.
In the first task the support material pretty much has the answers within it, you just have to extract what’s relevant and put it into a few paragraphs with links from websites you’ve found extra information on
After submission it’s returned with advisory remarks and you resubmit for final marking.
You only get two chances.
Reply 11
Thats fair enough, so they ease you into it to begin with.
what happens if your 2nd attempt doesn't meet what they are after, do you just instantly fail?
Whats your estimate that you'll complete the entire course.
thanks
Reply 12
Original post by SJD1101
what happens if your 2nd attempt doesn't meet what they are after, do you just instantly fail?
thanks

I’m hoping I don’t find out what happens if you fail twice.
I’m aiming for one year.
Reply 13
Original post by SJD1101
thanks

I’m hoping I don’t find out what happens if you fail twice.
I’m aiming for one year.
Reply 14
Hey Pal, How you getting on with your course. And how are you finding Tecol? I'm Still to make the plunge. just want to get a first person reaction to Tecol Thanks.
Reply 15
It’s very interesting, I’m still in the first two stages, it’s just health and safety and reporting at the moment.
I’m doing an hour or so each night and that seems to be enough to get the work done.
I completed the first section with very good marks.
It might be just me but I find the questions can be a bit frustrating because they can seem a bit vague, the tutor is very helpful but getting email replies can take a couple of days.
I would certainly recommend it, especially if you get an employer to pay for it.

Quick Reply

Latest