The Student Room Group

Will resitting my gcse twice affect my choice of uni

My completed his GCSEs and passed with the highest he could get which is a five but he wants to do some engineering in uni and so he’s going to take a foundation year because he wasn’t allowed to do a level maths. To do a foundation year he needs a 6/7 he resat his GCSEs though it was a higher paper this time and he got a 5 so he’s going to resit it again. But he’s worried that because he’s resat twice it might affect him getting into uni and doing what he wants I just need to check if this would affect him.
it really depends on the uni
Reply 2
Original post by backstreetboyz
it really depends on the uni

The choices are Russell group university’s
you could email and ask them individually perhaps
Reply 4
I am an engineering student and believe me this is a very difficult course to do. If he is struggling to even get accepted onto A level maths, then he should probably reconsider whether engineering is right for him, particularly at a Russell group uni.
I’d say it depends too Oxbridge might have an issue with it so discount that completely the Russell group isn’t out of the question I don’t think however when he does his UCAS form I would advise a couple of safety options so at least he’ll have an offer and whatever you do go to the applicant days it ca really help making the right choice. I didn’t go to a Russell group I spent 4 years at college getting city and guilds and then a BFD and finally got a BND as it was called at the time I think it’s now called an extended diploma (BFD stands for BTEC first diploma and BND stands for BTEC national diploma) and still got in to an electronic engineering program and my GCSE’S weren’t just poor they were absolutely terrible.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jonathanemptage
I’d say it depends too Oxbridge might have an issue with it so discount that completely the Russell group isn’t out of the question I don’t think however when he does his UCAS form I would advise a couple of safety options so at least he’ll have an offer and whatever you do go to the applicant days it ca really help making the right choice. I didn’t go to a Russell group I spent 4 years at uni getting city and guilds and then a BFD and finally got a BND as it was called at the time I think it’s now called an extended diploma (BFD stands for BTEC first diploma and BND stands for BTEC national diploma) and still got in to an electronic engineering program and my GCSE’S weren’t just poor they were absolutely terrible.

Ah man thanks and yeah he doesn't want to go to oxbridge but I hear you and thank you I’ll tell him that there’s still hope.
Original post by Posreh
Ah man thanks and yeah he doesn't want to go to oxbridge but I hear you and thank you I’ll tell him that there’s still hope.

Sorry I meant 4 years at collage I did go to uni too after college though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending