The Student Room Group

What are my chances of getting an interview + place?

I’ve just got my A-level results (A* Chemistry, A* Geography, A Biology and A* EPQ). And I am planning on taking A-level maths in my gap year to get another A*.

However, my GCSEs are 97666666655 (3 6s in the sciences).

Therefore, I am uncertain that Cambridge will even consider me for an interview even if I do get a good NSAA score.

What do you think my chances of getting an interview and a place for Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology at Cambridge are?

(Also, since I already have 2 A* and most colleges say ‘A*A*A including maths and chemistry’, could I just get an A in maths or would they likely require me to get an A*?)
Hi!
I am not Cambridge student but have spent a lot of time researching as I am hoping to go there in the future.
I personally think you have a very good chance at getting an interview as obviously you have very good grades, but maths is required for the course so you would definitely need to take it.
I really don't think that your GCSE grades will affect your entry as Cambridge doesn't look at GCSEs as much as Oxford (if at all) and you passed every subject so it shouldn't be problem.
Take this with a pinch of salt as I don't go there, but I hope this helps!
(p.s. Cambridge will tell you what subjects you need to get what grades in when they give you a conditional)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!
I am not Cambridge student but have spent a lot of time researching as I am hoping to go there in the future.
I personally think you have a very good chance at getting an interview as obviously you have very good grades, but maths is required for the course so you would definitely need to take it.
I really don't think that your GCSE grades will affect your entry as Cambridge doesn't look at GCSEs as much as Oxford (if at all) and you passed every subject so it shouldn't be problem.
Take this with a pinch of salt as I don't go there, but I hope this helps!
(p.s. Cambridge will tell you what subjects you need to get what grades in when they give you a conditional)

Okay, thank you. On the website, most colleges say:

Typical offer: A*A*A (A-Level Chemistry and Mathematics).

Could they still ask for an A* in maths?
I’ve just got my A-level results (A* Chemistry, A* Geography, A Biology and A* EPQ). And I am planning on taking A-level maths in my gap year to get another A*.

However, my GCSEs are 97666666655 (3 6s in the sciences).

Therefore, I am uncertain that Cambridge will even consider me for an interview even if I do get a good NSAA score.

What do you think my chances of getting an interview and a place for Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology at Cambridge are?

(Also, since I already have 2 A* and most colleges say ‘A*A*A including maths and chemistry’, could I just get an A in maths or would they likely require me to get an A*?)

You're chances are fine. You've got the A levels already so that'll be very good in their eyes. It'd put you in good stead to get an interview IMO. People that apply with A level results already achieved are at an advantage already.
Reply 4
You're chances are fine. You've got the A levels already so that'll be very good in their eyes. It'd put you in good stead to get an interview IMO. People that apply with A level results already achieved are at an advantage already.

Okay, thank you!!
Reply 5
If anyone just wants to be incredibly blunt and tell me that my chances are low, please say.
If anyone just wants to be incredibly blunt and tell me that my chances are low, please say.

just apply. No-one knows what your chances are better than you can already tell - you've got good grades. It's only one of 5 choices.
Reply 7

There are 8 applicants for every place, so everyone’s chances are low, however, if you are predicted an A* in maths in your gap year, you have a shot so it is worth going for it. If they make you an offer, it could well be based on getting an A* in maths, especially as you have one extra year of experience, and you will only be doing 1 A-level. They often give students stretched offer conditions.
Reply 8
Thank you everyone for your replies. So, none of you think that my GCSEs will have a detrimental impact on my chances of getting into Cambridge?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending