Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
dino1
And can you tell me about their reputation (+does their reputation matter):

Imperial
St. George's
Cardiff
Barts

And could you rank them (in descending order)

A medical degree is going to make you a doctor at the end of the day
But in terms of league tables, I think Imperial is at the top

Why don't you do a search for this? This topic has been discussed sooo many times!
Reply 21
dino1

Imperial
St. George's
Cardiff
Barts

FAIL
Reply 22
dino1

Imperial
St. George's
Cardiff
Barts

they're alright.
Did you make exactly the same thread last week, if not use the search function because someone else did.

As a recap, reputation doesn't matter at all. All of the ones listed are good medical schools, as are all the ones not listed, make your choices based on where you want to be and what course you like best.

Apart from that people tend to rank according to where their loyalties lie and it turned into a singing contest between the best school in the country (BL) and the ones who stole our song
Reply 24
you're called dino...... looks like you're coming to barts
Reply 25
OK, since you're new I'll be nice :biggrin:

Basically, we can't rank med schools for you. To choose which ones are best for you, you need to look at the teaching style (do you prefer lecture based or PBL), location (campus vs city), costs, course (eg dissections vs prosections), how much you like the area (you'll spend a big portion of your life there) etc etc. Only once you've looked at what you are looking for in a medial school, then been through your checklist with each one can you make a list. Prestige doesn't com into it - the prestige you get is doing a medicine degree, to the people that matter (i.e. employers) a 1:1 at PMS is far better than a 2:2 at Cambridge for example.
You've got like a year to make your decision, or more than that.
Go look at them, see where you like and where you want to be.
Then come back with questions.
And DO work experience.
AWZC

Basically, we can't rank med schools for you. To choose which ones are best for you, you need to look at the teaching style (do you prefer lecture based or PBL), location (campus vs city), costs, course (eg dissections vs prosections), how much you like the area (you'll spend a big portion of your life there) etc etc. Only once you've looked at what you are looking for in a medial school, then been through your checklist with each one can you make a list. Prestige doesn't com into it - the prestige you get is doing a medicine degree, to the people that matter (i.e. employers) a 1:1 at PMS is far better than a 2:2 at Cambridge for example.

Oh no, here we go again....
Reply 28
AWZC

Er as far as I know medical degrees aren't honours degrees, ie, you don't get 1:1 or 2:1 etc.
Reply 29
Cytotoxic
Er as far as I know medical degrees aren't honours degrees, ie, you don't get 1:1 or 2:1 etc.

OK, my mistake.
Reply 30
martin101
Oh no, here we go again....

What do you mean? Its wierd to see you singled out the only post not calling a new poster an idiot.
I was more on about the old debate of is a 1st from university X as good as a 2i from university Y (I know medicine doesnt classify the BMBCh or equivalent but thats besides the point). It invariably causes a stir
AWZC
What do you mean? Its wierd to see you singled out the only post not calling a new poster an idiot.
1- your not the only person
2- the here we go again probably refers to the fact you have come in to advise on Med schools without actually seeming to know much about them- although with the exception of the grading you did make a very good post imo
Reply 33
crazyhelicopter
1- your not the only person
2- the here we go again probably refers to the fact you have come in to advise on Med schools without actually seeming to know much about them- although with the exception of the grading you did make a very good post imo

The grading was a slip up, I admit I haven't looked into that in much detail. But, not liking to boast, but seeing as I went through the whole medical application last year and came out with 4 offers, I think I'm qualified to give some basic advice without someone making sarcastic comments.
AWZC
The grading was a slip up, I admit I haven't looked into that in much detail. But, not liking to boast, but seeing as I went through the whole medical application last year and came out with 4 offers, I think I'm qualified to give some basic advice without someone making sarcastic comments.
Not sarcastic comments, I did think it was a good post. And as you've gone through the process you know more than the standard person who drops in off the street. But the grading may have rung alarm bells (now we know wrongly) in some peoples heads
Reply 35
crazyhelicopter
Not sarcastic comments, I did think it was a good post. And as you've gone through the process you know more than the standard person who drops in off the street. But the grading may have rung alarm bells (now we know wrongly) in some peoples heads

Yeah, I'm probs just overreacting due to general tiredness... Meh.
Reply 36
AWZC

Just to qualify what I said further - I actually agreed with your post, except the grading part it was a good point.
Reply 37
St Georges is the best!!!
Reply 38
I had my interview at St Georges recently, and it is fabulous!! The teaching is great, Mums and Dads programme sounds like great fun, the teaching got 23 out of 24 which is better than all the other medical uni's in london, and the 3rd ( or 2nd ) best ranked for teaching in the UK. I really hope i go there!!
Reply 39
awais_123
I had my interview at St Georges recently, and it is fabulous!! The teaching is great, Mums and Dads programme sounds like great fun, the teaching got 23 out of 24 which is better than all the other medical uni's in london, and the 3rd ( or 2nd ) best ranked for teaching in the UK. I really hope i go there!!

you forgot "and the first year students were LOVELY!"

Latest

Trending

Trending