The Student Room Group

English Literature (poetry anthology)

Hello. I just wanted to ask how many quotes you should learn for each poem in the poetry anthology? Would 3 quotes be enough (one for beginning, one for middle and one for end) and some basic knowledge on what happens in the poem and methods used? Please reply ASAP as i really need to know this so that i know if i have to change what i am doing.
Original post by Agent599494
Hello. I just wanted to ask how many quotes you should learn for each poem in the poetry anthology? Would 3 quotes be enough (one for beginning, one for middle and one for end) and some basic knowledge on what happens in the poem and methods used? Please reply ASAP as i really need to know this so that i know if i have to change what i am doing.

I'd say you don't need to remember quotes for every poem, just have an understanding. I would say you are better off choosing a handful of poems, maybe 5 or 6, each with different core themes, and trying to learn quotes for those in detail, with their methods and some context. That way you can confidently write about any theme with poems you feel okay with.

For your least favourite poems, remember that there isn't much point trying to learn quotes if you don't think you'd write a great essay about it. If one comes up as the given poem, you'd have it in front of you and still wouldn't need any memorised quotes, just a solid understanding of the story and its purpose.

Good luck
Reply 2
I would separate poem anthology by topic not general poems from beginning, middle and end, so memorise key quotes from poems that focus on e.g. nature, and focus on how nature is presented! Otherwise, I think you would just waste your time, and not get the highest marks if you take quotes from a poem on religion when the question asks you about nature. if you have an open book exam, that should help if you are on a shorter time frame and only have time to memorise each poem's topic!
Reply 3
@lolainthesun103 @Amylindle Thanks a lot. i really appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending