The Student Room Group

When should I start on A level past papers

I am coming towards the end of year 12 now, and I have learnt the A level course in my own time on top of the AS content at college (Fully done for maths, partially done for FM and physics), but an issue I had this year is that I went through the past papers too fast, so I had next to no new material to revise from. Because I would like to maximise my chances for the highest grades possible, I need to make sure I revise the right things at the right time, so anybody in year 13, I was wondering when you started using past papers, and how many times you can repeat a paper until it becomes useless because you memorise the answers
Reply 1
I started past papers literally only near the end of the year when I’ve finished the entire content, so a couple weeks/a month before exams? End of topic questions or just topic specific before that. As for repeating papers, for maths it’s fine but since there’s so many resources out there, I don’t find it as necessary
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MathsEnjoyer
I am coming towards the end of year 12 now, and I have learnt the A level course in my own time on top of the AS content at college (Fully done for maths, partially done for FM and physics), but an issue I had this year is that I went through the past papers too fast, so I had next to no new material to revise from. Because I would like to maximise my chances for the highest grades possible, I need to make sure I revise the right things at the right time, so anybody in year 13, I was wondering when you started using past papers, and how many times you can repeat a paper until it becomes useless because you memorise the answers

Are you studying Edexcel? If so then there are loads of additional practice material your teacher can share with you.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Are you studying Edexcel? If so then there are loads of additional practice material your teacher can share with you.

I am studying ocr in all of my A levels, which is an issue especially for FM because we do additional pure, and not many of the other boards actually do it as an A level, so I need to be careful about how I use past papers, as although very useful and probably the best revision tool out there, they are limited in supply, and if I just crack on with them paper after paper, I will certainly run out of fresh ones a while before exams. Physics is better because old 2010 ish papers still broadly apply, but they are still finite is my main concern
Reply 4
Original post by MathsEnjoyer

Heya!
I started on proper past papers a few months before the exams :h: If it helps, Study Mind has more free resources you can use in your revision!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest