The Student Room Group

Casual Relationship or Something More? (gay)

This is somewhat long because I feel the need to include some details of the cues that leave me a bit confused.

I (m/22) had a casual relationship with a guy (m/20) and developed feelings for him. He initially expressed interest in dating (literally said ‘I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t wanna date you’, and also when drunk once texted me that he ‘wants me but wouldn’t tell me when sober’), but later distanced himself when I showed him my interest in him, citing past relationship mistakes and a lack of emotional availability as a reason (mainly because of his exam season and being too busy because of that). He wanted to remain friends with benefits but then decided he only wanted to be friends after I was giving some sexual flirts, and also told me he doesn’t like any type of pressure of me waiting for him to finish his exams and then wanting to date him, and didn't want to be leading me on, so he wanted to be friends only for now. At the same time he didn't want to cut contact completely when I told him I may have to do so, and emphasised how much he likes talking to me. All this made me think he may have a dismissive avoidant attachment style.

That was early/mid April. Sine then, he stayed in touch with me daily by sending memes and some short messages here and there. One day, he updated his tinder profile with a new pic and ‘looking for long-term partner’ option. I asked him what that’s about and that I’m a bit confused since he told me he wasn’t emotionally available because of his exam season at the moment, and he just re assured me that he still wasn't and just uses tinder to pass time and stuff. Now his exams were over recently, and he’s been going out a lot and meeting friends in the days after his last exam. I kept my distance to show him I don't want to pressure him or have high expectiations. I don’t know if he had any hook-ups during these days. He was about to go away a few days for a short trip, and I told him we should meet beforehand, to which he agreed.

Plottwist for all who thought this was a dead connection: We met the night before he had to catch a flight in the early morning. Had a really good time and I could tell there was some connection going between us, we had dinner together and he kept making physical contact with me. Before we met, he also said if time allows it we could go to his and play nintendo, but also that he may not have much time cause he has to pack, which seemed like he’s making sure to have an excuse to leave and not spend too much time with me. After dinner (for which we took our time and he waited quite long for me to finish and was behaving very patiently), he was about to go home, so I asked him if he wants to play some games at his still, and he smiled and reluctantly said ‘okay a few rounds’.
We did play Nintendo while lying on his bed and we cuddled very lightly and bantered with each other, the tension was kinda rising, so at some point I gave him a short kiss. He smiled and all of the sudden leaned in big on me and we kissed really passionately for what felt like 1 or 2 minutes, and after that had fun again as we did before he cut me down to a friendship level (kinda making out for like 2 hours, we’re both a bit dirty too lol), to which he said ‘he missed that’ and that it’d be the best stress relief after exam season. I then slept over at his and left with him in the morning and brought him to his train platform where he caught his training leaving for the airport, and we hugged goodbye and he also turned around again smiling and waving good-bye before entering the train. I’m really confused now though. On the one hand it couldn't have gone any better than this, but on the other I'm wondering whether it's mainly a casual thing for him.

Does he have feelings for me or am I maybe just nice to have sexual things with in his perspective? He also updated his tinder with a new pic again just yesterday which is really confusing, but would make sense if he just feels like exploring the people at his trip destination and sort of an ego boost. It’s not really a good situation to ask him about where we stand because I for myself need to let that experience sink in a little first and I’m sure he does too, but the possibility that he may be having a hook-up on his trip now is kind of there too. It’s fine because we’re not together, but if he felt the same as me, it makes me wonder if he would really want to have a fling so quickly after? That being said, people live differently and he may be able to do so even though he has some deeper emotions for me.. and he told me before he’s not into random hookups. Still I’m wondering what u guys think of this. Is there more going on here than sexual stuff? I have a massive crush on this guy and am breaking my head apart about whether he likes me too but wants to take things more slowly, is just not as invested in this, or his dismissive avoidant attachment style shows (and likewise my fearful-avoidant anxieties come up and I should just trust the dynamic more)
Original post by Anonymous
This is somewhat long because I feel the need to include some details of the cues that leave me a bit confused.

I (m/22) had a casual relationship with a guy (m/20) and developed feelings for him. He initially expressed interest in dating (literally said ‘I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t wanna date you’, and also when drunk once texted me that he ‘wants me but wouldn’t tell me when sober’), but later distanced himself when I showed him my interest in him, citing past relationship mistakes and a lack of emotional availability as a reason (mainly because of his exam season and being too busy because of that). He wanted to remain friends with benefits but then decided he only wanted to be friends after I was giving some sexual flirts, and also told me he doesn’t like any type of pressure of me waiting for him to finish his exams and then wanting to date him, and didn't want to be leading me on, so he wanted to be friends only for now. At the same time he didn't want to cut contact completely when I told him I may have to do so, and emphasised how much he likes talking to me. All this made me think he may have a dismissive avoidant attachment style.

That was early/mid April. Sine then, he stayed in touch with me daily by sending memes and some short messages here and there. One day, he updated his tinder profile with a new pic and ‘looking for long-term partner’ option. I asked him what that’s about and that I’m a bit confused since he told me he wasn’t emotionally available because of his exam season at the moment, and he just re assured me that he still wasn't and just uses tinder to pass time and stuff. Now his exams were over recently, and he’s been going out a lot and meeting friends in the days after his last exam. I kept my distance to show him I don't want to pressure him or have high expectiations. I don’t know if he had any hook-ups during these days. He was about to go away a few days for a short trip, and I told him we should meet beforehand, to which he agreed.

Plottwist for all who thought this was a dead connection: We met the night before he had to catch a flight in the early morning. Had a really good time and I could tell there was some connection going between us, we had dinner together and he kept making physical contact with me. Before we met, he also said if time allows it we could go to his and play nintendo, but also that he may not have much time cause he has to pack, which seemed like he’s making sure to have an excuse to leave and not spend too much time with me. After dinner (for which we took our time and he waited quite long for me to finish and was behaving very patiently), he was about to go home, so I asked him if he wants to play some games at his still, and he smiled and reluctantly said ‘okay a few rounds’.
We did play Nintendo while lying on his bed and we cuddled very lightly and bantered with each other, the tension was kinda rising, so at some point I gave him a short kiss. He smiled and all of the sudden leaned in big on me and we kissed really passionately for what felt like 1 or 2 minutes, and after that had fun again as we did before he cut me down to a friendship level (kinda making out for like 2 hours, we’re both a bit dirty too lol), to which he said ‘he missed that’ and that it’d be the best stress relief after exam season. I then slept over at his and left with him in the morning and brought him to his train platform where he caught his training leaving for the airport, and we hugged goodbye and he also turned around again smiling and waving good-bye before entering the train. I’m really confused now though. On the one hand it couldn't have gone any better than this, but on the other I'm wondering whether it's mainly a casual thing for him.

Does he have feelings for me or am I maybe just nice to have sexual things with in his perspective? He also updated his tinder with a new pic again just yesterday which is really confusing, but would make sense if he just feels like exploring the people at his trip destination and sort of an ego boost. It’s not really a good situation to ask him about where we stand because I for myself need to let that experience sink in a little first and I’m sure he does too, but the possibility that he may be having a hook-up on his trip now is kind of there too. It’s fine because we’re not together, but if he felt the same as me, it makes me wonder if he would really want to have a fling so quickly after? That being said, people live differently and he may be able to do so even though he has some deeper emotions for me.. and he told me before he’s not into random hookups. Still I’m wondering what u guys think of this. Is there more going on here than sexual stuff? I have a massive crush on this guy and am breaking my head apart about whether he likes me too but wants to take things more slowly, is just not as invested in this, or his dismissive avoidant attachment style shows (and likewise my fearful-avoidant anxieties come up and I should just trust the dynamic more)

If he was looking for a fling or nothing serious, "long-term relationship" wouldn't be the right tag. Sounds like he's looking for a long-term relationship, but not with you.

He seems like he enjoys the benefits when he's missing out on them or when no strings are attached, but when things are fine or you start showing proper interest, he's happy to be friends. If you want a serious relationship, this is probably not the place to look for it.
Reply 2
Did he have a big ****

Latest

Trending

Trending