The Student Room Group

Obsessed with Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

i would prepare well to apply to Oxford and/or Cambridge :smile:

if they reject me, then i would reconsider what i would like to do in life
Original post by lalexm
It really does not need to be all consuming, or even that time consuming to get in. Whether you are aiming for oxbridge or another competitive uni, you are going to want to get the best A-level grades possible, and you are going to want to do super curriculars like extra reading etc, so the only real extra thing is an entrance exam (for most courses, but not all), and an interview if you get that far. It does not have to be that much extra work.
It is also really important to research and get excited about other unis, as like you have recognised, the large majority of oxbridge applicants do not get in.

I agree with this post. I also suggest that approaching university purely as a path to a career may be unwise. The university experience can be and I suggest should be about so much more than making a person a good candidate for a job.

It is as others have suggested important to look at several universities and think about the courses you might apply for. Try not to fixate on one university. The UK has several excellent universities, with different strengths and characteristics.

Posts commenting on the Oxbridge undergraduate experience made by those who have not studied or taught at Oxford or Cambridge are no doubt well intended, but such posts may be of limited value to those interested in applying to one of those universities, because they are based on external perceptions rather than relevant experience.

The notion that undergraduates at Oxbridge work so hard that they have no time to engage in other activities is a myth. The work required to write one essay a week can easily be combined with a wide variety of non academic activities, and with typical student partying, sleeping, etc. Many find the Oxbridge method of reading in depth and regularly engaging in rigorous discussion of a subject with subject-experts to be a rewarding way of learning. The collegiate experience of living, working, and playing in a relatively small self-governing academic community is enjoyable for most people who try it. Of course, not everyone who studies at Oxbridge enjoys doing so, but that is true of all universities.

Good luck with your studies.

Miss Byng MA (Oxon)
Original post by wowe_ee
Law

hi, I know that this post was made quite a long time ago but if it isn't too much of a bother please could you explain your journey to law at Oxford such as GCSE/A level grades, LNAT score, and the supercurriculars you did? I would want to go to Cambridge but I'm sure that the process is quite similar.
Original post by Anonymous
I am so obsessed with getting into Oxbridge (when I am fully aware of how slim the chances are and what it takes). It is so bad that I am only considering careers and courses that I have a probable chance of getting in to Oxford for rather than for my future careers. This also leads to me panicking when I emerge out of the obsession and realising I do not have a life plan outside of aiming for Oxbridge. Can someone who also was like this please help?
Wonder how you got on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending