The Student Room Group

How to revise a text last minute A-level English literature (AQA)

I have not had a teacher for four months, since she suffered a bereavement. We had a supply teacher but she wasn't trained in the texts we had yet to study (The Help and Feminine Gospels) so she was basically useless. My exam is next week and I still haven't been taught anything substantial about The Help. I think I'll be fine when it comes to Feminine Gospels, since poetry is my strong suit. However, I think that I'll have loads of problems with The Help, because it's so bloody long. For these kind of questions, I usually gather around 20 quotes that cover most of the themes in the book, and then come up with and memorise analysis for them, linking them with other quotes in the book. But I don't know where to start with The Help, given how long it is, and how hard it was to read it the first time (I have ADHD). Any advice?
Reply 1
I've never read The Help, but I can tell you that Spark Notes will be your best friend. Try finding summaries of the text, watch mini videos explaining themes, storyline and characters. Depending on how long it is, try reading a bit each day while taking notes. But don't overwork yourself. If you happen to get a worse grade than you hoped for and you're intending on going to University or anything similar, you can always give them a call/email and explain to them your circumstances. It'll be okay c:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending