The Student Room Group

Can I get a mmm in my course with merits in all units?

I’ve just finished college and my uni application requires I get an mmm. I took a media course and the course has only 4 units with 90 credits for the course you can get, right now for 2 of the units I’ve got merits and for the final 2 I’m hoping to also get 2 merits but I don’t know yet but I just want to know if getting merits on all of the units is enough for a mmm grade
Original post by Osamabinliner1
I’ve just finished college and my uni application requires I get an mmm. I took a media course and the course has only 4 units with 90 credits for the course you can get, right now for 2 of the units I’ve got merits and for the final 2 I’m hoping to also get 2 merits but I don’t know yet but I just want to know if getting merits on all of the units is enough for a mmm grade

What qualification is it you're taking? Is it a BTEC? If so, which type? An Extended Certificate? An Extended Diploma? Or is it perhaps an AQA Extended Certificate? Or something else?

The reason I ask is that I'm not aware on any qualification which with only four units, but with an overall grade in the form MMM.

The fact that you say "with 90 credits for the course" suggests that it's none of the above, as they don't have credits. So what is the qualification you're taking?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
What qualification is it you're taking? Is it a BTEC? If so, which type? An Extended Certificate? An Extended Diploma? Or is it perhaps an AQA Extended Certificate? Or something else?

The reason I ask is that I'm not aware on any qualification which with only four units, but with an overall grade in the form MMM.

The fact that you say "with 90 credits for the course" suggests that it's none of the above, as they don't have credits. So what is the qualification you're taking?

It is an extended certificate btec in media , it’s hard to explain but the course is split into 4 units each of them being different projects, 3 of them being worth 15 points max each and the fourth being worth 45 points. It confused me as well when I was trying to calculate my overall grade as well
It is an extended certificate btec in media , it’s hard to explain but the course is split into 4 units each of them being different projects, 3 of them being worth 15 points max each and the fourth being worth 45 points. It confused me as well when I was trying to calculate my overall grade as well

OK. A BTEC Extended Certificate contains 4 units, but is the equivalent of a single A level and produces a single grade: P, M, D or D*. So I'm not entirely sure this is really what you're taking.

There is no BTEC simply called "Media" (you can see the full list here, based on their starting letter). So either this isn't a BTEC, or is actually "Creative Digital Media Production", "Creative Media Practice", or "Creative Media Production". Do any of those names ring a bell?

There is no Extended Certificate offered in "Creative Media Practice" or "Creative Media Production". There is in "Creative Digital Media Production" (see the specification here), but it doesn't appear to match what you've described in terms of units or points.

I think the best match for what you've described is an Extended Diploma in Creative Media Practice. See the specification (which covers both the Diploma and the Extended Diploma) here.

It has four units, with one of them being worth 50% of the qualification (which matches the 45 point from a total of 90 points you mention), and with the remaining 3 units being worth 16.6% of the qualification (which matches the 15 points each, from a total of 90, which you mention). This is how the units in the Extended Diploma in Creative Media Practice are defined:

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Creative Media Practice - Units.JPG

Do those Assessment Unit names look familiar?

Also, this table seems to suggest that the Extended Diploma might have a maximum of 90 points, which matches what you'd written above:

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Creative Media Practice - Points.JPG

(It's obviously important for us to establish exactly what this qualification is before we try to work out how unit grades map to overall grades.)
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
OK. A BTEC Extended Certificate contains 4 units, but is the equivalent of a single A level and produces a single grade: P, M, D or D*. So I'm not entirely sure this is really what you're taking.

There is no BTEC simply called "Media" (you can see the full list here, based on their starting letter). So either this isn't a BTEC, or is actually "Creative Digital Media Production", "Creative Media Practice", or "Creative Media Production". Do any of those names ring a bell?

There is no Extended Certificate offered in "Creative Media Practice" or "Creative Media Production". There is in "Creative Digital Media Production" (see the specification here), but it doesn't appear to match what you've described in terms of units or points.

I think the best match for what you've described is an Extended Diploma in Creative Media Practice. See the specification (which covers both the Diploma and the Extended Diploma) here.

It has four units, with one of them being worth 50% of the qualification (which matches the 45 point from a total of 90 points you mention), and with the remaining 3 units being worth 16.6% of the qualification (which matches the 15 points each, from a total of 90, which you mention). This is how the units in the Extended Diploma in Creative Media Practice are defined:

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Creative Media Practice - Units.JPG

Do those Assessment Unit names look familiar?

Also, this table seems to suggest that the Extended Diploma might have a maximum of 90 points, which matches what you'd written above:

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Creative Media Practice - Points.JPG

(It's obviously important for us to establish exactly what this qualification is before we try to work out how unit grades map to overall grades.)

Yeah sorry it is a btec extended certificate in creative media practice but I’ve just calculated it so far and for a1 and 2 I’ve got 19 points and then so far I’ve only had two of the 3 projects for b2 graded and so far I’ve got 4 distinctions 1 merit and 5 passes which is around another 19 points so all I know so far is that I have 38 points altogether while waiting for b1 and my short film project to be marked and I know for that I should be getting merits and distinctions so is that enough to get an mmm?
Yeah sorry it is a btec extended certificate in creative media practice but I’ve just calculated it so far and for a1 and 2 I’ve got 19 points and then so far I’ve only had two of the 3 projects for b2 graded and so far I’ve got 4 distinctions 1 merit and 5 passes which is around another 19 points so all I know so far is that I have 38 points altogether while waiting for b1 and my short film project to be marked and I know for that I should be getting merits and distinctions so is that enough to get an mmm?

There is zero chance of getting MMM from a BTEC Extended Certificate because - as I said above - an Extended Certificate is worth a single A Level and generates a single grade - P, M, D or D*.

Also, there is no BTEC Extended Certificate available for Creative Media Practice. They only offer a Diploma or an Extended Diploma. See this page for confirmation. (Note that the drop-down list only contains the options "540-Diploma" and "Extended-Diploma".)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending