The Student Room Group

What kind of jobs can you do during gap year?

I only have my (bio,chem & maths) A level grades (bad) I’m planning on retaking and also finding a part time job but the problem is I have no work experience and I’m extremely socially awkward so I feel like I’ll probably not do well where direct contact with customers is involved… (I tried to get retail part time jobs before but always got rejected after the interview).
Original post by Minminwun
I only have my (bio,chem & maths) A level grades (bad) I’m planning on retaking and also finding a part time job but the problem is I have no work experience and I’m extremely socially awkward so I feel like I’ll probably not do well where direct contact with customers is involved… (I tried to get retail part time jobs before but always got rejected after the interview).

I would probably say kitchen porter is the easiest to get for you. It's usually not that difficult to apply and get; the problem is keeping the job because you would need to work fast and be organised.
I would rather you apply for entry level work in a hospital or something related to the NHS if you intend to go into healthcare, but I am not sure about your social skills.

The other jobs that you can potentially look for include:

Admin - not receptionist

Data entry

Something in a lab

Construction work

Lifeguard

Translation

Warehousing

Delivery driver - from supermarkets ideally where you will get a payslip

Just out of interest, do you intend to apply for medicine? If so, you might want to think carefully about your options.
Whilst you don't specifically need great people skills to become a doctor (I have come across plenty of doctors who aren't particularly great socially), you will need some to provide the treatment needed. Also, a number of universities don't accept resits if applying for medicine degrees, so you would need to check with the ones that you're applying for (it should say on the degree course page under entry requirements).
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I would probably say kitchen porter is the easiest to get for you. It's usually not that difficult to apply and get; the problem is keeping the job because you would need to work fast and be organised.
I would rather you apply for entry level work in a hospital or something related to the NHS if you intend to go into healthcare, but I am not sure about your social skills.

The other jobs that you can potentially look for include:

Admin - not receptionist

Data entry

Something in a lab

Construction work

Lifeguard

Translation

Warehousing

Delivery driver - from supermarkets ideally where you will get a payslip

Just out of interest, do you intend to apply for medicine? If so, you might want to think carefully about your options.

thanks but yh when I mentioned bad social skills I didn’t mean down right awful just not very good one to make a good sale’s person (I get too nervous when talking to strangers irl but that’s something I’m working on) but apart from that I wanted to apply to biomed. Idk what I should be doing at this point, I really don’t feel like going to a uni I don’t like, but I didn’t meet the grade requirements for all the uni’s I was interested in, only option is to retake. But then I’d have to find a job, I’ve been scrolling through diff job websites all day & it looks really rough out there, makes me think if I should just go to any uni so I won’t have to look for a job in the meanwhile.
Original post by Minminwun
thanks but yh when I mentioned bad social skills I didn’t mean down right awful just not very good one to make a good sale’s person (I get too nervous when talking to strangers irl but that’s something I’m working on) but apart from that I wanted to apply to biomed. Idk what I should be doing at this point, I really don’t feel like going to a uni I don’t like, but I didn’t meet the grade requirements for all the uni’s I was interested in, only option is to retake. But then I’d have to find a job, I’ve been scrolling through diff job websites all day & it looks really rough out there, makes me think if I should just go to any uni so I won’t have to look for a job in the meanwhile.

I don't think anyone will be a particularly good salesperson when they first start; it takes a lot to become a good one. Whilst a number of sales jobs are relatively easy to get, the problem with these jobs is that they expect you to sink or swim, and if you're not swimming you're out.

To my knowledge, biomed is a subject where the specific degree you do would impact your prospects.
If you didn't get the grades you want/need, then it's strongly recommended that you get them to go into the most appropriate course that you need to do. After all, you would want to only do things at uni once (doing multiple degrees unnecessarily can be expensive and time consuming).

The alternative would be the degree apprenticeships, but I don't know enough about the biomed job roles to comment on them.

I wouldn't pick any uni degree just to avoid finding a job. It's likely a bridge that you would still have to cross at some point.
If you're applying for jobs online, then it's going to be a lot rougher than if you say apply directly in person or through networking. Applying through job sites online mean you're going up against a lot of unnecessary competition, usually against people with a lot more suitable experience and going against people who are applying for just anything with anyone (kind of like online dating where you get a lot of the bad with the good, but more bad than good). The sort of employers you could potentially be missing out would be the small businesses that need people but have not advertised. It's a low hanging fruit.

Quick Reply

Latest