The Student Room Group

Where to find a remote job (preferably no references needed)?

Hi,

I'm looking to find a student part-time job that has flexible hours and is remote. My schedule at Uni isn't ideal as my lectures and seminars are scattered throughout the week so I don't have long blocks of free time.

The reason for why I'm looking for a remote job is that I've got social anxiety and jobs like waiter or working in a shop wouldn't really be suited for me. As for references, I don't really have anyone that could give a reference for a more practical job especially since I don't speak up much in classes either so my profs don't really know me well.

I'm aware there's probably not too many options like that but I just wanted to know if there's a good website for me to look.
Reply 1
I guess it’s an evening or weekend job you need. I suppose there might be some admin or cleaning jobs that meet the brief for not so much interaction. Do you have any skills that might be of particular value, software, spreadsheets, art, writing etc., there might be agencies that need you or you could put a card on the board offering your services. Try Indeed website or getting some advice from your SU or even the uni careers department
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,

I'm looking to find a student part-time job that has flexible hours and is remote. My schedule at Uni isn't ideal as my lectures and seminars are scattered throughout the week so I don't have long blocks of free time.

The reason for why I'm looking for a remote job is that I've got social anxiety and jobs like waiter or working in a shop wouldn't really be suited for me. As for references, I don't really have anyone that could give a reference for a more practical job especially since I don't speak up much in classes either so my profs don't really know me well.

I'm aware there's probably not too many options like that but I just wanted to know if there's a good website for me to look.

Hiya!

It is great to hear that you are looking for some part time work, it can be challenging for specifically remote only, but I am sure there are options out there. I would recommend speaking to your career’s team at the university as they can help with your research and know of any opportunities if there are already some available, an option could be even working for the university itself. For example, at De Montfort there is an opportunity to become a Telemarketing ambassador which does require you to speak to students on the phone however majority of the shifts are remote. Regarding references, they may not be necessary, but the chances are you will be more successful if you do have at least one; do you have any previous experience with work? Or any social groups such as Girlguiding / scouts? A previous teacher? And you could even ask your form / personal tutor at University or even an adult friend such as a family member, or family friend. In regards for websites for jobs, I have previously used websites such as Unitemps, linkedin and Indeed and these seem quite good and I have seen a few remote jobs advertised.

I hope this helps and I will be happy to answer any questions
-Maddie, second year Health and well-being in society student at De Montfort University
I am like you I also have social anxiety. I have been doing a job at TELUS international as a data analyst try searching it up, after you apply they will ask you to complete an exam I strongly recommend you read the info they will give you, if you pass that you get the job. It’s fully remote and you can work when you want and there is minimal contact with anyone, only downside is its pay is quite low compared to other jobs.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,

Hi there,

It's great to hear that you are looking for work.

I'd first recommend that you see what your university can offer you, as they'll likely be the most flexible employer with your schedule, and will understand that university studies come first. For example, you could find a position as a research assistant or a digital ambassador (like answering prospective students here on TSR!).

It might also be useful to talk to the careers team, as they will know of any opportunities that are specific to your needs, and might know of some good websites to browse. Indeed and LinkedIn would also be good places to look.

Best of luck,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending