The Student Room Group

How much should i revise for y10 mocks?!

I have Easter holidays coming up soon! yay! but also mocks right after.
my teachers say i should be doing 6 hours of revision a day?! idk but that sounds like a lot. I was planning on doing 1-2 hours a day.

how much revision is needed to prepare for y10 mocks?
I didn't revise and got an 8, 2 7s, 2 6s, 4 5s. I revise solidly since September and now getting 4 9s, 1 8 and 4 7s.
Original post by propergoodman
I didn't revise and got an 8, 2 7s, 2 6s, 4 5s. I revise solidly since September and now getting 4 9s, 1 8 and 4 7s.

those are good results. well done!
so frequent revision > longer revision?
Reply 3
You should be doing 6 hours a day if that’s what your teachers expect
Original post by Flk10
You should be doing 6 hours a day if that’s what your teachers expect

It sounds like a lot for just y10 mocks?! the entire holiday is gone then
Original post by twopoundcoin
It sounds like a lot for just y10 mocks?! the entire holiday is gone

have 12 days of out of the 2 weeks and do revision for 4 days
6 hours a day is bizarre and to be quite honest I wouldn’t listen to your teachers. I would do like 1-2 hours of effective revision so that I could enjoy my holiday. Being in school 24/7 is enough, sometimes you need a break. Remember, quality over quantity.
Reply 7
For me being in year 11, I didn't revise a lot at all for my year 10 mocks and it really didn't affect me too much. I think the key things to consider are whether or not you know where you are at in terms of grades and if your hitting the targets you want to hit and also whether these mock results are the ones that will be sent alongside your college applications when you get to that point. For me, I already had a relatively good idea where I was at and was happy with it so I didn't feel the necessity to revise for that reason. Additionally, it was not my year 10 mocks that were sent to colleges but my first year 11 ones. So in summary, in my opinion, I wouldn't stress too much about these unless you think you need the extra practice/ want a good indicator of where you are at and/or they are getting sent with your college applications. (I also think that regarding what another user was saying with 6 hours of revision a day is completely overkill and would honestly be incredibly inefficient, if you do decide you want to revise a lot for these or frankly any big tests, it works significantly better to do smaller amounts of revision over longer stretches of time as this will secure the knowledge more and will also reduce the risk of burnout due to not leaving any time for relaxation/entertainment.)
my teachers say i should be doing 6 hours of revision a day?! idk but that sounds like a lot. I was planning on doing 1-2 hours a day.

Heya!
It's about the quality of your revision, not the quantity :h: If you believe you can get everything done in 2hrs then sure, but perhaps 4hrs with breaks could be more beneficial. Though I believe 6hrs maybe a bit too long.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
honestly I'm doing my year 10 mocks this week and I did: 45mins daily 3 weeks before,1 hour daily 2 weeks before,2 hours daily 1 week before and now I'm doing 2hrs 30 during the week and so far I feel like from the exams I've taken its felt pretty easy, ill reply with all of my results when I get them!
i would also definitely not recommend 6 hours a day

Quick Reply

Latest