The Student Room Group

Is reaching out to an old friend bad?

My friend and I fell out when we were like 19! Tbh I can’t remember all the details but she was upset, blocked me ( we were both drama queens)! I remember she randomly unblocked me 6 months later to talk to me about a heartbreak and then blocked me again!

It’s been like 4 years now and I do miss her friendship. I sent her a Facebook message apologising for what we fell our over, explained we’re much older now and I suggested coffee if she felt that was the right thing to do. For some reason I feel bad for reaching out like it could
Offend her even more?!? Is it a bad thing to reach out? If she doesn’t reply then fine but at least I’ve extended an olive branch
Reply 1
Its not a bad thing at all! in fact, reaching out shows you've grown as a person and matured, which is a good thing. At least you're trying to amend things. If she doesnt want to be friends again at least you're left with a solid answer rather than just wondering if it would ever be possible. And if she agrees then its good for you both!
Reply 2
My best mate and I had a huge falling out and didn't see or speak to each other for years. Total no contact. He was so mad with me, he blocked me on all social media. I tried for a few months to send emails every few weeks, but I had no response. I was distraught actually, I felt like I'd lost a limb as we'd been so close. Eventually I gave up trying.

Three years passed, and the pandemic hit, and a few months into it I sent him an email asking how he was coping with the pandemic, and saying I wished him all the best. I kept it quite formal. Of course I didn't expect a reply, but to my astonishment he emailed me back "I miss you"

I replied "I miss you too", and then he replied straight back "that's a start :smile: "

Anyway that was back in October 2020. Since then we've rebuilt our friendship.

So it's never too late to reach out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending