The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield hallam

Hi just wondering if this student union is good or if it’s easy to make friends as I’ve heard it has regular mixed opinions about how easy it is to make friends
Original post by Eleanor_1678
Hi just wondering if this student union is good or if it’s easy to make friends as I’ve heard it has regular mixed opinions about how easy it is to make friends

Hey there @Eleanor_1678 !

I struggled in my first year originally because I didn't get along with my flatmates. However, I didn't let this stop me purely because I didn't want the rest of my uni experience to be miserable. The truth about making friends at uni is that if you're outgoing and determined to do well at it, then you'll be more willing to put yourself out there and meet new people and that's the same of every single university. Some people struggle to make friends no matter what environment they're in purely because they're quite introverted and don't try. If you're put in a bad position to make friends, you simply just get out of it and put yourself into a different situation. I took the negative of the bad flatmate situation and turned it into a positive by reaching out to other people in my accommodation on social media chats. Now I have a solid group of lifelong friends. If I hadn't have done that then I probably still would be sat miserable. The point is there's really no "easy" way to make friends, you've got to be willing to put the effort in to make it work.

In terms of the union, the Hallam student union has recently had a refresh in terms of their events and advertising which has really helped to modernise the image of the union which was quite arguably old fashioned. I never used it but since their refresh this year it's been so easy to find what you're looking for. There's always regular events going on designed to help people meet each other.

Have a look at the new rebranded website here:
https://www.hallamstudentsunion.com/

I would recommend joining a society because that is genuinely the best way to meet people and make new friends. Putting yourself in the best position to meet people will literally ensure that you do. If you sit at home wondering why you haven't made any friends yet then you never will. Get out there and have some fun!

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending