The Student Room Group

Will having a dashcam fitted onto my car as a new driver lower my insurance premiums?

Will having a dashcam fitted onto my car as a new driver lower my insurance premiums? Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Unlikely but a good number want those black boxes fitted.

If i were you i would go to a car insurance comparison site like compare the market, enter all your criteria and on the quotes it will say "x required" - majority of the cheapest will say, fit black box, they wont mention dashcams.

A dashcam could however be a benefit if you were in a no fault accident and you needed evidence to help prove your case to avoid losing your no claims bonus.

First year insurance an absolute nightmare, my daughters insurance 18 on a mini one was something like £1700 in the first year, practically only a handful of insurers would cover her. She ended up with some crappy insurance company called sabre or something that had terrible reviews.

Good news is however at the renewal with one years no claims we had loads of options available and the price came right down to practically half and she was able to move to Churchill without a black box.

Good luck
No it won't lower your premiums but a dash cam is useful to prove it isn't your fault in an accident.

A blackbox will lower your insurance premiums.

I got lower premium insurance without a blackbox.
Original post by Amin7
Will having a dashcam fitted onto my car as a new driver lower my insurance premiums? Thanks in advance

No, a dash cam won't lower your premiums. But a dash cam can be useful to prove it isn't your fault/prove the other person is at fault in an accident.
Ive seen the odd company ask if you have a dashcam (the very small minority) but they dont actually knock any money off.

Dont go for a black box (despite what others on here say). Absolute nightmare and pain in the backside. Work of the devil those things.
Original post by GetTwisted
No it won't lower your premiums but a dash cam is useful to prove it isn't your fault in an accident.

A blackbox will lower your insurance premiums.

I got lower premium insurance without a blackbox.

Wouldnt go for a black box.
Not as cheap as people make them out to be. Can often get cheaper policies without a black box (and without all the hassle too).
Original post by Emma:-)
Wouldnt go for a black box.
Not as cheap as people make them out to be. Can often get cheaper policies without a black box (and without all the hassle too).

I didn't get a black box for myself. I don't like them for my first car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending