The Student Room Group

gap year medicine personal statement

my school are pressing for my PS to be in in the next couple of days and haven't finalised a medical job for my gap year as i only finished the UCAT last week - any suggestions for how to write about my gap year plans? i am planning to get a job in the medicine/caring industry i just havent finalised anything yet... i have the rest of my PS just need to add a couple of lines about my gap year but have no concrete plans yet and thought id have another week...
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by sween2121
my school are pressing for my PS to be in in the next couple of days and haven't finalised a medical job for my gap year as i only finished the UCAT last week - any suggestions for how to write about my gap year plans? i am planning to get a job in the medicine/caring industry i just havent finalised anything yet... i have the rest of my PS just need to add a couple of lines about my gap year but have no concrete plans yet and thought id have another week...

I mean, you just need a job involving the healthcare sector, that is entry level - requiring GCSE’s and or A Levels. Look at the nhs website for a potential few.

From https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/doctors/applying-medical-school/gaining-experience-medical-school/paid-work
A few suggestions for paid jobs include:

a weekend job in a community pharmacy
working evenings in a care home for older people
a gap-year job as a healthcare assistant (HCA), porter or medical administrator (listen to an audio on advice about becoming a HCA)
a temporary holiday job helping with paperwork at a clinic or health centre

or look at nhs vacancies posted - with duration of job being 12 months
Reply 2
i

Original post by BankaiGintoki
I mean, you just need a job involving the healthcare sector, that is entry level - requiring GCSE’s and or A Levels. Look at the nhs website for a potential few.

From https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/doctors/applying-medical-school/gaining-experience-medical-school/paid-work
A few suggestions for paid jobs include:

a weekend job in a community pharmacy
working evenings in a care home for older people
a gap-year job as a healthcare assistant (HCA), porter or medical administrator (listen to an audio on advice about becoming a HCA)
a temporary holiday job helping with paperwork at a clinic or health centre

or look at nhs vacancies posted - with duration of job being 12 months

thank you - i do know this, but i am in the process of applying to these jobs and need to submit my personal statement - so my question was more surrounding how vague can i be for the PS but still show that im committed
Original post by sween2121

you can write what you're planning to do, why you're going to do it and what you hope to gain from it. Not many med schools read your ps and ask you questions about your ps and those that do ask, will ask about it in the interview which will be months after you submit your ps
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending