The Student Room Group

Term Dates for Sheffield Hallam Paramedic Science 2023/24

My daughter will be studying Paramedic Science at Sheffield Hallam from September. We have a big family wedding abroad next year the first week in July 2024 and we are in the process of booking. However I am worried that she might be on placement then. Can anyone advise me either if this will be the case or where I can find out this information? Thank you
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by mommi777
My daughter will be studying Paramedic Science at Sheffield Hallam from September. We have a big family wedding abroad next year the first week in July 2024 and we are in the process of booking. However I am worried that she might be on placement then. Can anyone advise me either if this will be the case or where I can find out this information? Thank you

Hi there,

While I am not a student here, I have searched their term dates from 2023/24 and found this information here: https://students.shu.ac.uk/regulations/Academic%20Calendar%20Key%20Dates%20202324.pdf

Unfortunately, I am unsure of how to find the exact dates of her placement unless you contacted the university or looked at the course details which might shed a bit more light on the situation.

I hope this helps and I wish your daughter the best of luck at university!

Rachel- YSJ student rep
Original post by mommi777

Hi,
I am a current 1st year Paramedic Science student at Sheffield Hallam. Whilst we don't have the full calendar of dates for next year yet, it is likely that the year will look similar (if not the same) to this years. Our placements do finish in the middle of July, with extra time given in the last 2 weeks of July to 'catch up' any missing learning from placements.

Generally the university policy is for students to not miss placements without good reason because it is hard for them to catch up. However, for unavoidable events they are flexible and helpful. There is also, naturally, more flexibility avilable to those students who are more engaged and complete more of the required learning sooner/ on time. It's impossible to say if your daughter would be on shift on the wedding day, but given you are going overseas for it, it's likely you are away for a number of days and therefore she would likely be missing for a shift or several.

My unoffical suggestion would be that, if this is a really important family wedding to be at, then your daughter books to come with you, but for a minimal amount of days (i'd suggest no more than 3 or 4). Hopefully she would then not miss many (or any) shifts on placement and be able to catch up. I think you would find that the uni would be more accommodating of this situation than if you were looking for her to be taking a week or more off her placement time.

hope that offers some help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending