The Student Room Group

Different type of lonliness

Loneliness is something that became more and more common among young people, even the more social ones.
I spoke to several close friends and closer co-workers about it and turns out many are lonely despite being in a relationship or at least being very social.
I thought I was one of the few people who feel like that. Even when I was at my peak, having a good relationship with my family, a good job, was very social in general and having the best boyfriend and 2nd partner I could ever imagine, nevertheless I felt lonely.
Later I've met some young people who grew up in the pandemic and never recover their social or emotional needs, I mean people are now tend to communicate more from distance, less calling and more using WhatsApp messages (or recording voice messages instead of even calling). Many admit the lack of personal touch, yet they won't try to call their friends.
People are craving for likes, and followers but not for people who really care about them, yet that's what they really need, and they admit it but can't do anything about it.

Now after years of feeling lonely I'm sort of used to that. I mean, if not a post about loneliness I would never think about it again.
I think many people are just used to that and not paying much attention to it anymore.
We are an adaptive species and this is a time of change. As people learn to be self-sufficient this ‘loneliness’ will diminish.
Reply 2
Original post by TtttYyt
We are an adaptive species and this is a time of change. As people learn to be self-sufficient this ‘loneliness’ will diminish.

The question is, is that a good thing to adapt to?
Of course! Self-dependence is an invaluable skill. Would you want cosmonauts to fail their missions because they felt ‘lonely’?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TtttYyt
Of course! Self-dependence is an invaluable skill. Would you want cosmonauts to fail their missions because they felt ‘lonely’?

Even if they don't fail, would it make them less lonely?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending