The Student Room Group

highly undervalued maintenance loan

i will be living in london, away from my parents.

my household income is under £45,000, and my means-tested maintenance loan is £7,096. this is only £611 above the non-means-tested maintenance loan.

i used the calculator, and it predicted me £10,535.

i looked at the student finance ‘understanding student living costs’ page, and it showed that a household income of £45,000 would have a maintenance loan with a £2,600-2,800 difference from the maximum.

the maximum for me would be £13,022, so this would be around £10,322, similar to what the calculator predicted.

i wrote about all of this in an appeal, but i would just like to know about whether this could possibly be a mistake. it seems like such an uncanny decision and i can’t ignore it. would appreciate any response or advice.

also, i can show what i wrote in my appeal if necessary.
Original post by vkayy
i will be living in london, away from my parents.

my household income is under £45,000, and my means-tested maintenance loan is £7,096. this is only £611 above the non-means-tested maintenance loan.

i used the calculator, and it predicted me £10,535.

i looked at the student finance ‘understanding student living costs’ page, and it showed that a household income of £45,000 would have a maintenance loan with a £2,600-2,800 difference from the maximum.

the maximum for me would be £13,022, so this would be around £10,322, similar to what the calculator predicted.

i wrote about all of this in an appeal, but i would just like to know about whether this could possibly be a mistake. it seems like such an uncanny decision and i can’t ignore it. would appreciate any response or advice.

also, i can show what i wrote in my appeal if necessary.

Hi there,

Can you please confirm the name of your university and campus?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Can you please confirm the name of your university and campus?

Thanks, Graeme

imperial college london, south kensington campus

this is my first year applying for student finance by the way
Reply 3
i recently had a call with customer service, and it turns out that somehow student finance had my household income stored as something completely different (65,000+ when my household income is 42,000). i have no idea how they managed to do this, but i am intending to upload a pff2 form. is this a good idea?
Original post by vkayy
i recently had a call with customer service, and it turns out that somehow student finance had my household income stored as something completely different (65,000+ when my household income is 42,000). i have no idea how they managed to do this, but i am intending to upload a pff2 form. is this a good idea?

Yes, definitely - if the figures we have for your parents' income are incorrect the PFF2 can correct this. We can then award you the correct amount of funding.

We'd also recommend including evidence of your parents' income with this form. So, if they have P60s or tax returns for the 21/22 year please include these.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 5
Yes, definitely - if the figures we have for your parents' income are incorrect the PFF2 can correct this. We can then award you the correct amount of funding.

We'd also recommend including evidence of your parents' income with this form. So, if they have P60s or tax returns for the 21/22 year please include these.

Thanks, Graeme

i've already sent in the pff2, but do you think it would be a good idea to now upload my mother's p60 (she's a single mother) or would that slow down the process?
Original post by vkayy
i've already sent in the pff2, but do you think it would be a good idea to now upload my mother's p60 (she's a single mother) or would that slow down the process?

Hi there,

If you also upload the P60's as well as this may be required to confirm the figures are correct.

Thanks, Jason
Reply 7
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

If you also upload the P60's as well as this may be required to confirm the figures are correct.

Thanks, Jason

i recently had a call with sfe, and i was told that hmrc were somehow reporting a different household income to the one we entered. on one call, the person said that i have to rectify this with hmrc, but on a second call, another person said i could send the p60 as supporting evidence. would the p60 still work as supporting evidence, even given the situation?

edit:

more importantly, would this be resolved in reasonable time? i just want to make sure im eligible for the imperial bursary in time, or else my accommodation will be extremely unrealistic to be paid for.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by vkayy
i recently had a call with sfe, and i was told that hmrc were somehow reporting a different household income to the one we entered. on one call, the person said that i have to rectify this with hmrc, but on a second call, another person said i could send the p60 as supporting evidence. would the p60 still work as supporting evidence, even given the situation?

edit:

more importantly, would this be resolved in reasonable time? i just want to make sure im eligible for the imperial bursary in time, or else my accommodation will be extremely unrealistic to be paid for.

Hi there,

We'd still recommend uploading the P60: there's no reason not to do this as soon as possible. We're currently processing evidence in 19 working days, so please check your account and e-mails for any updates.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 9
Hi there,

We'd still recommend uploading the P60: there's no reason not to do this as soon as possible. We're currently processing evidence in 19 working days, so please check your account and e-mails for any updates.

Thanks, Graeme

i uploaded the p60 alongside the pff2 stating my household income was 42k, but with the recent entitlement update, the maintenance loan is still the same one they gave me when i was told my household income was stored as 65k. i will genuinely need the money from the correct loan, so i don't know what else to do
Original post by vkayy
i uploaded the p60 alongside the pff2 stating my household income was 42k, but with the recent entitlement update, the maintenance loan is still the same one they gave me when i was told my household income was stored as 65k. i will genuinely need the money from the correct loan, so i don't know what else to do

Hi there, When did you upload the evidence and form? Thanks, Angela
Original post by vkayy

Hi there,

If it has been reassessed and you have received the new entitlement letter, this would reflect the correct income. You would need to speak to your sponsors about this and if they are saying the income is less, they need to contact us themselves to discuss.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 12
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, When did you upload the evidence and form? Thanks, Angela

over six weeks ago, i think on july 21? they sent me a new entitlement letter recently in response which led to no change.
Reply 13
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

If it has been reassessed and you have received the new entitlement letter, this would reflect the correct income. You would need to speak to your sponsors about this and if they are saying the income is less, they need to contact us themselves to discuss.

Thanks, Clare

alright, but i don’t see how that would be possible, given i only live with my mother and she works a single job with no other income. it could really limit my bursary which i’m relying on as we are not in the best financial state
Reply 14
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

Thanks, Clare

and honestly, whenever i call sfe, i get conflicting advice, with some saying i have to talk to hmrc about the issue, and some telling to reupload forms. it’s building up a lot of stress because uni starts in less than 6 weeks, and my financial situation could be completely compromised by this.
Original post by vkayy
and honestly, whenever i call sfe, i get conflicting advice, with some saying i have to talk to hmrc about the issue, and some telling to reupload forms. it’s building up a lot of stress because uni starts in less than 6 weeks, and my financial situation could be completely compromised by this.

Hi there, It may be better if you Mum calls us so we can look into her household income to ensure it is correct. Thanks, Angela
Reply 16
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, It may be better if you Mum calls us so we can look into her household income to ensure it is correct. Thanks, Angela

should she call sfe or hmrc?
Original post by vkayy
should she call sfe or hmrc?

Hi there, If she calls SFE we can advise the income details we have on the account. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending