The Student Room Group

Missing cousin

A few days ago I came back from my vacations at my cousin's house.
This may be the last time we will be seeing each other for a very long time as he might go to Venice.
He is one of the most important person in my life as I can share everything in my life with him and we have so much fun together. I cover his back and he got mine we really are the best cousins. But now I am back to my old life of studying being lonely and all the fun is gone away. I miss him a lot.
Please give some advice.
Thanks
Reply 1
Start focusing on your current priorities, you'll forget him within a week.
Original post by Anonymous
A few days ago I came back from my vacations at my cousin's house.
This may be the last time we will be seeing each other for a very long time as he might go to Venice.
He is one of the most important person in my life as I can share everything in my life with him and we have so much fun together. I cover his back and he got mine we really are the best cousins. But now I am back to my old life of studying being lonely and all the fun is gone away. I miss him a lot.
Please give some advice.
Thanks

Do you talk regularly? If so, then it isn't the worst thing to be separated from your cousin. If not, then maybe you can organise a regular time at least once a week to catch up. 20 minutes will probably cheer you up.

You also don't have to let go of everything fun because you're studying. It could be a poor work-life balance that is making you pine for your holiday more than you otherwise would. Additionally, you don't need your cousin present to have fun. You can go out with your friends, go out with other family members if you're close to them or plan a solo day out when you can do some of the things you've always been wanting to do.

Perhaps you can include your cousin in your plans in some way, like facetiming/video calling at a concert so that you can share it with each other even if he isn't physically there. If your connection is as strong as you claim, then some distance and time between seeing each other shouldn't damage it if you keep in contact.

What's more, you should neither ruminate over what you can't control nor accept an unfulfilling life when you have some power to make it better. It is okay to miss your cousin, but don't put your own life on hold. Remember what your plans are for the near future and know that if things go well, you may reunite sooner than you think.

Hope this helps.
Reply 3
That is so rude. It is not that easy.(Original post by Meheraj)Start focusing on your current priorities, you'll forget him within a week.
Reply 4
Original post by SagaciousSag
Do you talk regularly? If so, then it isn't the worst thing to be separated from your cousin. If not, then maybe you can organise a regular time at least once a week to catch up. 20 minutes will probably cheer you up.

You also don't have to let go of everything fun because you're studying. It could be a poor work-life balance that is making you pine for your holiday more than you otherwise would. Additionally, you don't need your cousin present to have fun. You can go out with your friends, go out with other family members if you're close to them or plan a solo day out when you can do some of the things you've always been wanting to do.

Perhaps you can include your cousin in your plans in some way, like facetiming/video calling at a concert so that you can share it with each other even if he isn't physically there. If your connection is as strong as you claim, then some distance and time between seeing each other shouldn't damage it if you keep in contact.

What's more, you should neither ruminate over what you can't control nor accept an unfulfilling life when you have some power to make it better. It is okay to miss your cousin, but don't put your own life on hold. Remember what your plans are for the near future and know that if things go well, you may reunite sooner than you think.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
That is so rude. It is not that easy.(Original post by Meheraj)Start focusing on your current priorities, you'll forget him within a week.

I'm really sorry. I actually didn't mean it rudely. I just overcame a situation like this though it was different from yours. But it was difficult to do and had to do it for my betterment. That's why I said so.

Anyway, if you want to keep in touch with him, you can do it via various ways such as texting, face timing, etc.
Social media is definitely a big bonus these days as is video calling, etc. I know it's still not the same but better than his it was way back.

I don't know how old you are but if you are post 16 (though in sone situations post 18) then your life is yours. You don't have to use your life studying it may not necessarily lead to a better life. For better or worse there is the option of choosing other options in life but it's really your life so up to you. No guarantees how things will turn out so you must really make your choices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending