The Student Room Group

I got rejected again

Hi, I am 17 and the class of GCSE 2020,
I want to do medicine or engineering. Hence, I applied to the Sutton Trust US programme to potential studying engineering in the US. I also applied for MAP, which the Uni of Manchester Access Programme for Medicine.
My GCSE results are
Bio 6
Chem 7
Phys 6
Maths 7
Eng Lan 5
Eng Lit 6
Geog 7
French 6
Music 8
RS 9
DT 8
Honestly, I am upset that results based on someone's opinion are affecting my life chances. And it hurts my self-esteem. As a result, I didn't tell anyone when I applied for these programmes because I am just so used to the rejection. But what do I do know?
Do I continue as if I was never rejected, or do I change?
I take Maths, Chem and Bio for A levels.

Scroll to see replies

What did you get rejected for? Sorry i am a bit confused.
Reply 2
Original post by SAVEafrica
I want to do medicine or engineering. Hence, I applied to the Sutton Trust US programme to potential studying engineering in the US. I also applied for MAP, which the Uni of Manchester Access Programme for Medicine.
My GCSE results are
Bio 6
Chem 7
Phys 6
Maths 7
Eng Lan 5
Eng Lit 6
Geog 7
French 6
Music 8
RS 9
DT 8
Honestly, I am upset that results based on someone's opinion are affecting my life chances. And it hurts my self-esteem. As a result, I didn't tell anyone when I applied for these programmes because I am just so used to the rejection. But what do I do know?

F in the chat
Reply 3
Original post by something_orphic
What did you get rejected for? Sorry i am a bit confused.

It's a higher access programme to help people from disadvantage programmes go to Uni and in my class either in the US or for MAP medicine at manchester
Reply 4
I don't really appreciate you calling my a failure what have you succeed at to call my a failure

Never called you a failure?
Sorry if that came out wrong, most of my posts are jokes
I was saying “F” as in “damn that sucks”
I don’t think your a failure :smile:
Reply 5
My GCSE results are
Bio 6
Chem 7
Phys 6
Maths 7
Eng Lan 5
Eng Lit 6
Geog 7
French 6
Music 8
RS 9
DT 8

May I ask what you mean by "do I change"? Are you talking about your options or what exactly?
It's a higher access programme to help people from disadvantage programmes go to Uni and in my class either in the US or for MAP medicine at manchester

I would continue following what you want to do. When you get your A level predicted grades, if they are good, it should open more doors to you. Good on you for trying to get onto these programmes a lot of people don't try. Your GCSEs are not dreadful, although i can respect the fact they are perhaps not a true reflection of your ability and i can completely understand the frustration. I would work hard on your A levels, try to get any relevant work experience you can (theres stuff online atm that you can do) which may help guide you to what career path you might want to take.

Sorry i do not know masses about medicine or engineering however i have seen a lot of TSR blogs asking about what people can do to get into good unis when they are disappointed with their grades. So it might be worth searching through some old TSR threads.
Reply 7
Original post by axxxxxa
May I ask what you mean by "do I change"? Are you talking about your options or what exactly?

Yeah I was wondering if it was worth changing my options
Reply 8
If you're really set on Medicine, then don't let those results hold you back (even though it wasn't your fault that you got them). People still get into Medicine (and Engineering) in the UK with 5s, 6s, and 7s - I'm assuming it'll just take some strategic applications to non-GCSE heavy med schools. I'm not sure about the US though. Maybe can advise you here?

You can also find advice and resources for Medicine and Engineering both here all over the Internet (a few I can think of are the BSMS virtual work experience and InsideUni lists a lot of reading, podcasts, etc for Medicine and Engineering). Either way, don't let rejections from these highly competitive programmes put you off. Good luck. :smile:

Maybe look into it but honestly i think you can still do medicine and engineering 1000%. Those programmes are hard to get onto. I know some people who applied to sutton trust US as well and got rejected. Also look up unis and their grade requirements, you might be surprised!
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, sorry to hear about your rejection.

Last year, I applied for the UNIQ summer school which is similar to the Sutton trust programmes and I too was rejected. However, I still applied for medicine this year and have so far received an offer from UCL and am still waiting on St George’s and Imperial.

I think it’s definitely possible for you to still get into medicine/engineering if you wish, but please check uni requirements as I think most med schools want at least a 6 in English Language. Good luck!!

I see, well changing options just because of the rejection is not worth it. Those two courses are indeed competitive though so it won't hurt to look at what other options are out there. And maybe, start deciding on one or the other in due time.

Others have already made excellent points and I agree, do not let the rejection or grades hold you back. The rejection is not an indication of your performance. It just happens to be competitive but that in no way means that "you are not good enough" (for medicine/ engineering or just in general).

Just a side note, forgive me if I am mistaken but doesn't engineering require A-level physics? I know this may not be for all unis but I think a majority do. It's worth looking into different unis and their requirements.
Original post by Pyruvic Acid
Hi, sorry to hear about your rejection.

Last year, I applied for the UNIQ summer school which is similar to the Sutton trust programmes and I too was rejected. However, I still applied for medicine this year and have so far received an offer from UCL and am still waiting on St George’s and Imperial.

I think it’s definitely possible for you to still get into medicine/engineering if you wish, but please check uni requirements as I think most med schools want at least a 6 in English Language. Good luck!!

OP you could look into retaking English Lang if this is the case.
Hi,
I’d definitely also recommend looking into resitting your english language gcse as you will need a six to pursue medicine. The widening programmes realistically don’t change anything, so being rejected really isn’t as big of a deal as you think it is. I think you just need a boost in your confidence levels, your a levels are what matters, keep on working, do well in them and so many doors will open up. It can be really difficult to be positive and confident when you compare yourself to others and think you’re not good enough, not getting into these programmes doesn’t mean that you’re not good enough, I believe in you, you’ve got this!
Reply 14
I forgot to add but I tried to enrol on doing a night course to redo my English lang but I wasn't allowed to do it for free till I was 18 or enrol at the college but I had already enrolled at my current sixth form.
I forgot to add but I tried to enrol on doing a night course to redo my English lang but I wasn't allowed to do it for free till I was 18 or enrol at the college but I had already enrolled at my current sixth form.

So you are currently not redoing English lang?
Original post by Flyingbadger
Hi,
I’d definitely also recommend looking into resitting your english language gcse as you will need a six to pursue medicine. The widening programmes realistically don’t change anything, so being rejected really isn’t as big of a deal as you think it is. I think you just need a boost in your confidence levels, your a levels are what matters, keep on working, do well in them and so many doors will open up. It can be really difficult to be positive and confident when you compare yourself to others and think you’re not good enough, not getting into these programmes doesn’t mean that you’re not good enough, I believe in you, you’ve got this!

Hi! Actually the programme if successful, does reduce 2 alevel grades for offers.
And now OP, I also did MAP. I got accepted onto it and I did my assignment and I passed successfully. I just needed to apply and hope that they’ll give me an interview for dentistry and then an offer with ABB instead of the standard AAA. But I wasn’t successful :redface:
What I mean is that even if you would have gotten in, it’s not the greatest thing in the world and it certainly doesn’t send out the end. I eventually got an offer from another uni and see how life paths change?
Keep trying and don’t give up!
Btw you don’t have alevel physics for engineering?
Many unis would want it but since you don’t have it it’s actually fine because you can apply to a foundation year for physics :smile:
See there’s loads of routes to do what you want to do. So don’t give up hope!!
Reply 17
Original post by SparkleFace
Hi! Actually the programme if successful, does reduce 2 alevel grades for offers.
And now OP, I also did MAP. I got accepted onto it and I did my assignment and I passed successfully. I just needed to apply and hope that they’ll give me an interview for dentistry and then an offer with ABB instead of the standard AAA. But I wasn’t successful :redface:
What I mean is that even if you would have gotten in, it’s not the greatest thing in the world and it certainly doesn’t send out the end. I eventually got an offer from another uni and see how life paths change?
Keep trying and don’t give up!
Btw you don’t have alevel physics for engineering?
Many unis would want it but since you don’t have it it’s actually fine because you can apply to a foundation year for physics :smile:
See there’s loads of routes to do what you want to do. So don’t give up hope!!

Hi. What do you mean you were not successful at MAP? Did you get an interview?
Original post by Mama. B
Hi. What do you mean you were not successful at MAP? Did you get an interview?

No I was. I completed map.
I sent my application but I didn’t get an interview coz my ucat was too low.
If I did get an interview, I had to also pass that to get an offer.
Those who completed map will get w reduced offer grade of ABB.
Reply 19
Original post by SparkleFace
No I was. I completed map.
I sent my application but I didn’t get an interview coz my ucat was too low.
If I did get an interview, I had to also pass that to get an offer.
Those who completed map will get w reduced offer grade of ABB.

Thank you for your response. Glad you got an offer somewhere else. MAP is great, but like you said, you have to pass the interview....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending