The Student Room Group

I think I, and the rest of my college have been seriously under-graded with results

(TL;DR at the bottom) Sorry if this is long i just need to vent a bit. But Yeah the post is exactly what it seems. I know a lot of people have been screwed over by harsh grade boundaries, strict markers and so on. But I seriously don’t understand whats going on with my results.
As for my mocks/predicted grades I was a consistent A* student throughout my Politics class, and have shown that I can achieve consistent A’s and B’s in my Psychology and Law mocks. I was revising extremely hard during exam season and was practically learning the entire specification off by heart. And when I actually got to sitting my exams I’d thought I’d absolutely blew them out the park in comparison to my previous mocks as I was building upon the mistakes I had previously made in them. So it’s safe to say that I was prosperous in achieving A’s and A*’s across my psychology exams and A’s and B’s in Law (I’d consider Law to be one of my weaker A-Levels prior to this). Thoughout my essays and answers I was applying all the relevant terminology, presenting cases for law, studies for psychology, and any relevant events within UK/US politics for my Politics essays. Every argument I was presenting for evaluations were concise and well-structured. So I was safe in believing that I had knocked these exams out the park.
However I open up my exam results today to see a C in Psychology and Law, and a D in Politics. With law being my best subject in all of my A-Levels, despite me struggling the most on those papers.
What really grinds my gears about the whole thing is mostly the Politics grade I got, not just because it was considered my weakest A-Level but because my friends from that Politics class were getting the same grades as me or even higher. The same friends who were asking me for all the advice throughout the papers, how to structure essays, the ones that were reading through my past mock exams to get a grasp of the papers. They themselves think something’s definitely wrong, and my politics teacher believes there’s something definitely wrong as well. As for my other teachers, I havent been able to speak to them, my psychology teacher has only just retired and my Law teacher is nowhere to be found.
As for the rest of the college, No-one studying A-Levels was able to achieve an A. Not even the consistent A* students that I have seen get 90% or higher on Psychology papers. So i don’t know whats going on here.
I’m going into the college tomorrow to ask about re-marks, I’m sure my politics teacher can definitely back me up for a much higher grade than what was given, and I can give out any updates if necessary. But thank you for reading what i have to say, and if you have anything to say about this then please let me know.
Cheers.
TL;DR - Predicted A’s and A*s in mocks, did BETTER in my A-Levels than any other mocks and got CCD, with the subject where i was getting consistent A*s being the one i got a D in. And No one else in my college got an A.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by dilwonk
Sorry if this is long i just need to vent a bit. But Yeah the post is exactly what it seems. I know a lot of people have been screwed over by harsh grade boundaries, strict markers and so on. But I seriously don’t understand whats going on with my results.
As for my mocks/predicted grades I was a consistent A* student throughout my Politics class, and have shown that I can achieve consistent A’s and B’s in my Psychology and Law mocks. I was revising extremely hard during exam season and was practically learning the entire specification off by heart. And when I actually got to sitting my exams I’d thought I’d absolutely blew them out the park in comparison to my previous mocks as I was building upon the mistakes I had previously made in them. So it’s safe to say that I was prosperous in achieving A’s and A*’s across my psychology exams and A’s and B’s in Law (I’d consider Law to be one of my weaker A-Levels prior to this). Thoughout my essays and answers I was applying all the relevant terminology, presenting cases for law, studies for psychology, and any relevant events within UK/US politics for my Politics essays. Every argument I was presenting for evaluations were concise and well-structured. So I was safe in believing that I had knocked these exams out the park.
However I open up my exam results today to see a C in Psychology and Law, and a D in Politics. With law being my best subject in all of my A-Levels, despite me struggling the most on those papers.
What really grinds my gears about the whole thing is mostly the Politics grade I got, not just because it was considered my weakest A-Level but because my friends from that Politics class were getting the same grades as me or even higher. The same friends who were asking me for all the advice throughout the papers, how to structure essays, the ones that were reading through my past mock exams to get a grasp of the papers. They themselves think something’s definitely wrong, and my politics teacher believes there’s something definitely wrong as well. As for my other teachers, I havent been able to speak to them, my psychology teacher has only just retired and my Law teacher is nowhere to be found.
As for the rest of the college, No-one studying A-Levels was able to achieve an A. Not even the consistent A* students that I have seen get 90% or higher on Psychology papers. So i don’t know whats going on here.
I’m going into the college tomorrow to ask about re-marks, I’m sure my politics teacher can definitely back me up for a much higher grade than what was given, and I can give out any updates if necessary. But thank you for reading what i have to say, and if you have anything to say about this then please let me know.
Cheers.
TL;DR - Predicted A’s and A*s in mocks, did BETTER in my A-Levels than any other mocks and got CCD, with the subject where i was getting consistent A*s being the one i got a D in. And No one else in my college got an A.

I completely understand how you feel. I feel like the marking was very strict. Will you request to see a copy of your marked paper first or will you request a remark regardless?
Original post by dilwonk
Sorry if this is long i just need to vent a bit. But Yeah the post is exactly what it seems. I know a lot of people have been screwed over by harsh grade boundaries, strict markers and so on. But I seriously don’t understand whats going on with my results.
Cheers.

I noticed something a bit off about ours, too. Perhaps a lot just underperformed due to nerves, but I'm not so sure. Just seems a bit weird.
Reply 3
i definitely get how frustrating this is! if you believe your marks weren’t right, i’d speak to your college about requesting your scripts and potentially a remark.

unfortunately some colleges do over/under-mark students in college assessments eg mocks so there can be some discrepancy, but it does also seem odd that there would be as much of a discrepancy as there is here
Reply 4
Original post by Aceful
I completely understand how you feel. I feel like the marking was very strict. Will you request to see a copy of your marked paper first or will you request a remark regardless?

I’m asking for marked papers and i’m trying to get in contact with my teachers to see if they can review them as well. Because i heard thats how it works for non-independent students. And if they also agree that something is definitely wrong then I’ll 100% ask for a remark.
Reply 5
I had a similar experience . A* in mocks and through A level . For an A for bio and Chem and a B in psych. Nobody I know got an A in psych . Thought I aced the exam too!
I've seen an awful lot of people reporting similar things this year. So many people who have been apparently getting consistent A/A*s but ending up with Bs/Cs/Ds on results day. Bit confusing.
Original post by toxicgamage56
I've seen an awful lot of people reporting similar things this year. So many people who have been apparently getting consistent A/A*s but ending up with Bs/Cs/Ds on results day. Bit confusing.

Very confusing but I'm happy I still got in despite it
Reply 8
I was predicted ABB. Got BBC and honestly was devastated even though I got into my firm uni. After my exams/coursework I was expecting AAB minimum.

After a few days I realized that it doesn't matter because once I do get my degree, A-Levels won't matter but I have requested to see my scripts just to see how the examiner's marking was like. Don't think I will appeal tho.

Quick Reply

Latest