The Student Room Group

Air fryer

Hi, anyone at uni, do u think it’s worth buying an air fryer for uni?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Commenting here because I’d like to know too
It’s heavy and a faff to transport and is likely to be used by other people in your kitchen.

I would wait and see if your flatmates want to chip in to get one together for the kitchen. You’ll have a bigger budget to get a slightly bigger/multi section one and you can either take it with you to a shared house in second year or sell it on second hand at the end of the year.
Original post by tollarchet

Hi,

I think it depends what you want it for. First thing I would do is check whether your accommodation allows them and if they have to meet any standards to be allowed but if they are it's really up to you. If you have bills included within your rent and you're getting it to reduce the cost of your bills then I'd say no. But if it's allowed and you prefer cooking in one sure.
Personally I use an air fryer at home and while they are great and much faster than an oven I will say that they're a lot harder to clean.

It's really personal preference - which I know isn't all that helpful but it's true. :smile:

- Jessica
1st Year Computer Science & AI student, Heriot-Watt University
I imagine for quite a few halls it wouldn't be permitted - if it was you'd need to get it seen by the PAT people there.

Also probably more of a faff than not, plus if the one my mum's partner has is anything to go by, they smell awful while running...
Original post by tollarchet

Hey there @tollarchet !
I personally decided not to opt for one for university because I was living in accommodation and most of the time student accommodations have limited counter space. I didn't want to take up anyone elses counter space and the oven has always worked just fine. I think buying one for first year is probably not the best idea, but lets say in a years time you're moving to a bigger student house then it might be a good idea for you. Definitely don't make any decisions until you've met your flatmates as they may be irritated by having it out or even want to use it for themselves. There's also the issue of most accommodation contracts saying that you can't bring other appliances because the voltage can't handle it. Some people do it anyway but just hide it when room inspections happen, it's just good to know that contracts tend to advise against it.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Hey,

I didn't purchase one for the reasons above but then found out we were allowed. I left it until I moved into my second year house
and use it all the time now. I would check your accommodation contract and see if it says anything about appliances

Rebecca YSJ Student Rep :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @tollarchet !
I personally decided not to opt for one for university because I was living in accommodation and most of the time student accommodations have limited counter space. I didn't want to take up anyone elses counter space and the oven has always worked just fine. I think buying one for first year is probably not the best idea, but lets say in a years time you're moving to a bigger student house then it might be a good idea for you. Definitely don't make any decisions until you've met your flatmates as they may be irritated by having it out or even want to use it for themselves. There's also the issue of most accommodation contracts saying that you can't bring other appliances because the voltage can't handle it. Some people do it anyway but just hide it when room inspections happen, it's just good to know that contracts tend to advise against it.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Thank you!!
That was one of my worries with the counter space

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending