The Student Room Group

Rejected but contextual

So I sent my UCAS application last week. Ive already achieved my a-levels, but only meet the contextual requirements for unis. I’ve checked with all the unis eligibility tools to see if I’m eligible and I am. So applied to Unis where I meet the contextual not the standard. Today I received a rejection from Manchester for pharmacy due to not meeting their requirements but I meet their contextual. What should I do?
Original post by Melon543
So I sent my UCAS application last week. Ive already achieved my a-levels, but only meet the contextual requirements for unis. I’ve checked with all the unis eligibility tools to see if I’m eligible and I am. So applied to Unis where I meet the contextual not the standard. Today I received a rejection from Manchester for pharmacy due to not meeting their requirements but I meet their contextual. What should I do?

have you spoken to the admissions team? if not then maybe email them or ring them bc if you do fit the contextual requirements then I assume you should be given the contextual offer unless they're not aware that you are eligible.
Reply 2
Just because you’re contextual doesn’t mean you’ll get an offer. There still needs to be a certain academic threshold for academic courses like pharmacy. Maybe best to ask for feedback though. Good luck.

Looks like an error. Ring them up.
Manchester made a similar error to someone I know a couple of years ago and then reinstated the offer themselves a couple of weeks later. So worth giving a call to the admissions team just in case. Doesn't mean they will offer but you don't know unless you try.
Reply 5
PHONE the Uni this morning and check.

they might have rejected based on something else like your interview or PS.
Reply 7
For foundation year or year 1
Reply 8
Hmmm tricky. Not everyone who meets the standard offer or the contextual offer gets an offer on the most popular courses. There are simply too many applicants for some of these courses.

However, if reason given is you don’t meet the offer requirements, it suggests they haven’t been aware you are a contextual candidate.

If you’ve applied post -results, did your old school or college do the application for you? Did they flag the aspects that make you contextual? Otherwise the uni won’t know.

Def ring up the admissions people and also send an email so it’s all in writing.

Don’t approach it as you are entitled to an offer as your grades are above contextual level. Phrase it as the reason given for rejection makes you wonder if they have looked at your contextual data. State in the email what contextual criteria you meet. Ask them to get back to you to confirm they have all this info.

Good luck. It could turn things around. Or they might say there are other reasons why you were rejected …but then, that’s the reason they should have given. I reckon you have a good chance of getting this looked at and an offer given as you have grades in hand and unis are keen to give contextual offers and increase diversity. Errors do happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending