The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

None of you can apply because HKU are only accepting student applications for Hong Kong students this year!!!
Reply 21
Hi guys I’m a local gap year student interested in applying to BDS this yr. I have achieved grades in A-level: 4A*s and A* in EPQ but only did medicine related work experience and some volunteering. Does anyone know if they accept gap year applicants? Many thanks.
Original post by Grnd
Hi guys I’m a local gap year student interested in applying to BDS this yr. I have achieved grades in A-level: 4A*s and A* in EPQ but only did medicine related work experience and some volunteering. Does anyone know if they accept gap year applicants? Many thanks.

I know people of those stats who got rejected even if they weren’t on a gap year.

Honestly just apply med w ur stats n work exp they will be more likely to take u than dent.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 23
Hi! I got 2860 in my UCAT, should I put this on my application, despite that this is a low score, or not? Thank you :smile:
Anyone thinking of going to the iday?
Original post by KindaSmartish
Anyone thinking of going to the iday?

Meee
Hi does anyone know if they look at report cards? I’ve been absent for quite some days in the last school year and I’m afraid that it’ll look bad for my application…
Original post by Hanaowo
Hi! I got 2860 in my UCAT, should I put this on my application, despite that this is a low score, or not? Thank you :smile:

do not put ucat on your app unless ur like 3100+
Original post by dentistjoe
Hi does anyone know if they look at report cards? I’ve been absent for quite some days in the last school year and I’m afraid that it’ll look bad for my application…

they wont have access to your report cards, only your reference from your tutor
Reply 29
Original post by patpatpong
do not put ucat on your app unless ur like 3100+

What about BMAT? What score can be considered high for bds?
(edited 6 months ago)
hi does anyone know if mentioning researches you saw online in the personal statement is a good move or not?
Reply 31
Hi does anyone know whether a good PS increases my chance of being invited to an interview as my PG is only 3A stars or do they just strictly look at grades and interview those with 4A stars first and the PS is only reviewed right after they sent out interview for interview purposes to ask u q during interviews thanks for any replies !!!
Original post by dentistjoe
hi does anyone know if mentioning researches you saw online in the personal statement is a good move or not?

If it's research that you've just read passing by - ie on dentistry.co.uk or some other place, then no. If you've done very in depth research in a very specific place - ie 3D printing of skull plates after maxfax surgery, and you've read BDJ articles, maxfax journals, pubmed etc., and you have good knowledge on it, then yes. General rule of thumb: Whatever you mention in your personal statement, you should be prepared to be questioned/interrogated on.
Original post by Jjsbbsbdn
Hi does anyone know whether a good PS increases my chance of being invited to an interview as my PG is only 3A stars or do they just strictly look at grades and interview those with 4A stars first and the PS is only reviewed right after they sent out interview for interview purposes to ask u q during interviews thanks for any replies !!!

I honestly cannot tell you what the admissions criteria for nonjupas is. I know of students with 5 A*s at GCE A level who have been rejected pre-interview. Given that, I think they have a more holistic view of applicants and take everything into account, so yes, a good personal statement will increase your chance of being invited to interview.

They don’t really look at ps imo. 3 a stars might make it but I think they mostly accept 4 a stars

I honestly think it’s more important to get a banging reference from your tutor and hopefully a dentist/dental academic who you have shadowed. Hku likes looking at references a lot.
Reply 36
Original post by patpatpong
I honestly think it’s more important to get a banging reference from your tutor and hopefully a dentist/dental academic who you have shadowed. Hku likes looking at references a lot.

Great thanks for your reply do you know when about do they send out interview invitation ? Around march ?
Reply 37
Hi! I'm applying for BDS and I'm wondering if anyone has gotten their interviews yet. I've heard multiple people got their interviews for MBBS and other health science faculties too. I'm sort of getting worried :/
Reply 38
Great thanks for your reply do you know when about do they send out interview invitation ? Around march ?

On the website, I saw interviews are conducted around late Dec to Jan but I've heard other majors already getting their interview invitations...
I thought interviews are conducted in January;0;

Latest