The Student Room Group

Breach of employment contract

Hello. So I have breached my employment contract and my manager is obviously ****ed off about it. So here is the context of the situation (aka why I breached the contract).

So my job that I’ve had for the past 2 years requires a notice of 4 weeks. I work about 8 hours a week. I’ve decided to reduced one day of work as I only work for an hour and I don’t see the point of my whole day revolving around that hour.

I’ve recently started a new job where I can work Monday to Friday 9-5. That is why I decided to get rid of that hour of work as it’s pointless.

Are there going to be any serious consequences due to this??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That hour of work may be pointless to you, but not to your employer! How did you approach this with your manager, if at all?

You'll have to review your company handbook, contract etc and speak with HR or management.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
That hour of work may be pointless to you, but not to your employer! How did you approach this with your manager, if at all?

You'll have to review your company handbook, contract etc and speak with HR or management.

Well I don’t mind moving that hour to the day I work 7 hours
Original post by a.plane
Well I don’t mind moving that hour to the day I work 7 hours

But how did you approach that with your manager or HR?

If you just arbitrarily changed your hours without checking with them then are quite right to be narked off.
Reply 4
Original post by a.plane
Hello. So I have breached my employment contract and my manager is obviously ****ed off about it. So here is the context of the situation (aka why I breached the contract).

So my job that I’ve had for the past 2 years requires a notice of 4 weeks. I work about 8 hours a week. I’ve decided to reduced one day of work as I only work for an hour and I don’t see the point of my whole day revolving around that hour.

I’ve recently started a new job where I can work Monday to Friday 9-5. That is why I decided to get rid of that hour of work as it’s pointless.

Are there going to be any serious consequences due to this??

Your employer highly values that 1 hour. So have a sit-down with the HR/Manager and talk it out before its too late.
Reply 5
I’m sorry but I don’t see the point of that hour. Honestly I’m just going to quit this job because this is not worth it. Working there is just a pain
Reply 6
Original post by a.plane
I’m sorry but I don’t see the point of that hour. Honestly I’m just going to quit this job because this is not worth it. Working there is just a pain

ok. if its draining then just go ahead.
Reply 7
Original post by a.plane

The fact that you're avoiding the question of having discussed this with your manager would suggest you didn't do so. Think about it from their view; they've got to cover that hour, adjust your pay if you don't work it etc. You agreed a contract, you should have honoured it.

Woe betide your new employer if you are asked to do something that is genuinely work-related, but you consider to be an inconvenience...
Reply 8
Original post by Surnia
The fact that you're avoiding the question of having discussed this with your manager would suggest you didn't do so. Think about it from their view; they've got to cover that hour, adjust your pay if you don't work it etc. You agreed a contract, you should have honoured it.

Woe betide your new employer if you are asked to do something that is genuinely work-related, but you consider to be an inconvenience...

In regard to discussing it with my manager; I have. I understand that I’ve agreed to the hour, but most of the time I don’t even get paid for that hour or the 8 hours I do so I don’t see the point. If they want me for ‘stand by’ then I believe I should still be paid for something as it states bo where in my contact that I need to be available on ‘standby’. For that hour shift I’ve probably only actually worked 50% of the time therefore only got paid for that.

And I think you all are avoiding the questions “are there going to be any serious consequences?” Which is written at the bottom of my original post, I didn’t ask for the my employers POV. And I wouldn’t be an “inconvenience” to my new employer as I feel valued for my time and effort there. I understand that in my original post I didn’t explain the full situation, feel like it wasn’t needed but here you go.

Also would you really want to work somewhere you don’t feel valued or would want to stop ASAP. I’m sorry but you are fixating on my employers POV and not mine.

So yes I will be selfish over here. As my part time job makes me feel undervalued, I don’t get a consistent pay, and it was prompted falsely and continued with the false information when I first started working there. If your wondering why I stayed, simply because of the very little money I was making and it was difficult to get a new one.

Now I have a new one. This one I have a higher hourly pay, feel valued and I’m not on “standby”. Yes sometimes it’s terrible but overall I kinda like working here.

If you want to continue working somewhere with low pay and a constant feeling of being undervalued. Go ahead.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by a.plane
In regard to discussing it with my manager; I have. I understand that I’ve agreed to the hour, but most of the time I don’t even get paid for that hour or the 8 hours I do so I don’t see the point. If they want me for ‘stand by’ then I believe I should still be paid for something as it states bo where in my contact that I need to be available on ‘standby’. For that hour shift I’ve probably only actually worked 50% of the time therefore only got paid for that.

And I think you all are avoiding the questions “are there going to be any serious consequences?” Which is written at the bottom of my original post, I didn’t ask for the my employers POV. And I wouldn’t be an “inconvenience” to my new employer as I feel valued for my time and effort there. I understand that in my original post I didn’t explain the full situation, feel like it wasn’t needed but here you go.

Also would you really want to work somewhere you don’t feel valued or would want to stop ASAP. I’m sorry but you are fixating on my employers POV and not mine.

So yes I will be selfish over here. As my part time job makes me feel undervalued, I don’t get a consistent pay, and it was prompted falsely and continued with the false information when I first started working there. If your wondering why I stayed, simply because of the very little money I was making and it was difficult to get a new one.

Now I have a new one. This one I have a higher hourly pay, feel valued and I’m not on “standby”. Yes sometimes it’s terrible but overall I kinda like working here.

If you want to continue working somewhere with low pay and a constant feeling of being undervalued. Go ahead.

What do you consider 'serious consequences'?
Original post by a.plane

I think you're asking a bit much from an 8hrs a week job. Of course they don't care about you.

I wouldn't anticipate any fallout beyond them sacking you if you don't quit and then not providing a reference.
Reply 11
Original post by Admit-One
I think you're asking a bit much from an 8hrs a week job. Of course they don't care about you.

I wouldn't anticipate any fallout beyond them sacking you if you don't quit and then not providing a reference.

Ok then maybe you can try working there. See how long you last. And if they don’t care about me why shall I care about them.

So simple; I’ll just quit.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by threeportdrift
What do you consider 'serious consequences'?

Getting fired or a big fine.
Original post by a.plane
Ok then maybe you can try working there. See how long you last. And if they don’t care about me why shall I care about them.

So simple; I’ll just quit.

I’ve had crap part time jobs, I just didn’t expect them to pander to me.
Original post by a.plane
Getting fired or a big fine.

Getting fired - very likely. A big fine - not a finable issue.
Reply 15
Original post by Admit-One
I’ve had crap part time jobs, I just didn’t expect them to pander to me.

I don’t expect anything special from them either. I’ve just experienced better at other part time jobs compared to the company I’m leaving.

Sorry I came across rude earlier, just worked up with emotions
Reply 16
Original post by threeportdrift
Getting fired - very likely. A big fine - not a finable issue.

I just gave my notice to leave tbh (the proper 4 weeks), can’t get fired or anything now tho?
Reply 17
Original post by a.plane
I just gave my notice to leave tbh (the proper 4 weeks), can’t get fired or anything now tho?

You can still get fired during your notice period.
Reply 18
Not likely they will bother though.
It is a good thing that you got a better job for yourself. However, you leaving your previous work and going for the new one without giving a formal notice to your employer is a breach of your employment contract.

As you have stated, you are to submit your resignation letter within 4 weeks to you leaving so that your vacancy will be filled at the workplace within a reasonable time.
Because your boss can decide to escalate the matter and sue you for a breach of contract which might not be a good story for you.

Not only suing you, the company you previously worked with can send a letter to this new company stating that you have a questionable personality as you have left your position unannounced and it’s likely you might do the same to them. This can bring up questions that might lead to terminating this present contract and if care is not taken, subsequent contracts might be affected.

Working etiquette should be a 100% skill.

Since your boss is already aware, I suggest you meet with him/her, apologize for your unannounced absence and formally send a resignation letter to them and leave.
You should always try to leave an environment with a clean slate.

Chuks

University of Bradford Alumni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending